Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

when updating FW, do you fix bugs reinstalling?

miguel_lopez

I think the answer is Yes. With an update Line 6 always addresses "bugs" that were in a previous firmware that have been reported. Just recently with V2.0 the Eb tuning trick used to drop your guitar down to Eb didn't work so good. It worked Very good before the update. Line 6 has addressed that issue and in the new V2.1 update the Pitch Algorithms for the Pitch effects have been reverted back to V1.12 settings. So they are listening. Best thing to do if you think you've found something odd is to post it here so other people can check it our for you.

• Upvote 1

OK so let's upgrade to the latest FW... if I find bugs using the same parameters that where working fine in the previous configuration and then I re install the same lates upgrade, will this fix the bugs?

Not every bug gets fixed in a firmware upgrade, only the ones that L6 is aware of and that they have had the time to address in the latest firmware release. A new firmware release, particularly one that introduces new features can even sometimes introduce a new bug while also fixing known bugs. There can be exceptions but in general, keeping your firmware up to date is the best way to ensure that you have the most bug-free release available. 

If you are asking if in the event that you needed to rollback to a previous version will things work and sound the same, yes, they should as long as you restore all of the presets and IRs (restore to exactly the same slot they were in previously) from the previous version as well as set the global settings exactly the same as they were (so take note of them before upgrading).

• Upvote 1

Hi:

thank you very much Mr DeLaune(my pleasure) as well as HonesOpinion

very useful information...

it's been too much noise about the upgrade issues due to the prcedures and the extra-bugs coming from each latest FW... at the point, we, foreign users are a little affraid to spoil our beloved baby Helix >.< ...

I was so cold sweat the first time I did the procedure, but since I also memorized the steps I did NOT have any issue during the upgrade

Since I'm more a song writer than a guitar player for giggs, sessions, or anything close, I practically use Helix for basic tones and not precisely advanced applications(some of these are adviced in this forum that are accompained with bugs n' stuff, so as the Eb droping action)

So bassicaly I'm not forcing all the "creative" functions to know if a bug may appears.

The only odd thing I've noticed ONLY ONCE was in the original (out of the box) version the delay trails were still there and dissapeared by turning off the unit and turning ON back again.

Nowadays I set my Helix in the 2.0 FW more for the new tones than the "bug-fixing" feauture; I still don't use those tricks to find if there's a bug getting in the way...

questions:

1.- if I upgrade to 2.01 and have certain malfunction(if that may be a bug) will this malfuncion(bug) be fixed if I repeat the same installation procedure?

2.- I've noticed when some user finds a bug in his unit, other users DO NOT have the same issue and they have the same FW... what causes this difference?... and how do you fix it?

thanx for reading

1.- if I upgrade to 2.01 and have certain malfunction(if that may be a bug) will this malfuncion(bug) be fixed if I repeat the same installation procedure?

2.- I've noticed when some user finds a bug in his unit, other users DO NOT have the same issue and they have the same FW... what causes this difference?... and how do you fix it?

thanx for reading

1. If you upgrade to 2.01 and there is some kind of problem with the upgrade then reinstalling the firmware should fix the issue. If you are encountering an actual bug that exists in the 2.01 firmware then other users should be able to confirm that bug unless it is unique to your equipment, for example, the USB ports or drivers on your PC don't play well with the Helix and prevent the Editor from connecting. Even when it is not the fault of the Helix other users with similar equipment to your own will most likely be able to confirm the behavior you are seeing.

2. Usually when one user has a bug that others can't confirm it is either a problem with the PC or software, DAW, etc. they are using with the Helix, or it has something to do with the procedure they used when doing the firmware upgrade, or they actually have a defect or failure in their particular Helix that requires a repair. And... sometimes the user simply does not understand an operation that is working as designed and mistakenly thinks it is a bug. I find that the forum and L6 staff is pretty good at sorting out legitimate bugs from other issues but not always.

• Upvote 1