Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean Sound and Distortion Preset Question ( Needs in depth explaining )

So I'm getting some nice tones out of my new 2.0 and before continuing...my gear...its beginner gear but don't hate

Guitar: Ibby 7 String Gio 

Amp: Fender 25a 

Amp Settings: Bass 4.5 Mids 7.5 Treble 4.5 

Pod 2.0 ( upgrading to line 6 floor pod plus and mini peavey head soon in this month

Question: When i get my distorted tone it sounds really nice actually compared to what my old stuff used to be but when i try to go to the clean preset and set that up with the clean amp model as well with a cab simulator or whatever i'll turn the drive down but it will still sound distorted...Is there a way to get a clean sound without having to physically change my amp settings? 

I don't think that amp has an FX loop but if it does, go in there. The Pod is probably driving the amp's  pre even on the cleans. That said going in the front of an amp can work but you have to set it as neutral as can be. No drive, all tones at say 5. 

When you go looking for an amp be sure it has an fx loop - it will allow you to go straight to the power amp and just use the Pod's sims. Love Peavey stuff myself. :)

I like the FPP but it is pretty much the same as the 2.0 you should stick with the XT you said you were getting next week - it is a bigger step in the metal direction. 

I wanted the fpp since it has the stomp board with it so i can switch presets in the middle of a song since I'm playing my talent show this year again if i got the xt would i just get the foot controller with it? I could probably afford that anyway and then you mentioned peavey would you recommend this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/MP4-Solid-State-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc

are kustom amps any good? Also my local store has a mini peavey head too http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/p/579591/used-peavey-vss-20-solid-state-guitar-amp-10-watts

If you are really really new I would just go with the FPP until you put in some more time. No sense throwing $ at things until you know which direction you want to go. XT's usually don't come with the foot controller (the FBV) the XT Live has it built in.

Amps? there are soooOOoooo many out there but both links were for heads only you would still need to pick up a cab for them. Personally I would pass on either. The MP4 while a trusty old boy is not really what you want while the VSS 20 is under powered at 20 W. Solid State IMO should be preferably 50-60 watts.

A 1x12 Valvestate Marshall combo is usually a good metal head's amp. My old 8080 could peal paint and it sounded great on its own, clean and OD.

Best thing to do is grab your guitar and go try a bunch out. Evaluate your needs and choose wisely.