Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plugging a Shure SM58 into a DL4

Hey guys, I did a quick search and was surprised to see nothing come back.  Anyways..  I have been using my DL4 for vocal looping for years now after stumbling across the amazing Reggie Watts.  Originally I just had the pedal, my mic with an XLR to 1/4" cable, and then ran the pedal to a little amp I have and it has worked great.  The mic has seen better days though so I decided to upgrade to a Shure SM58. 

But when I plugged it in there was barely any volume so I did a little research and found out that getting a Lo-Z to Hi-Z impedance transformer might help that issue.  It did but I heard this ping sound as I was talking into it and then the sound caught the mic and gave me that horrible high pitch feedback sound.

The old mic is a knock-off Sennheiser and I have never had any problems with volume or feedback.  Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can use the SM58 without spending a bunch more money.  Also any insight as to why the old mic works so much better would be much appreciated.

On some other sights I have seen responses to similar issues saying you need all this other gear and some people saying it flat out won't work.  Talking about a lot of technical information that was a little hard to follow.

But this guy Reggie watts seems to do it with minimal gear besides his pedals, the mic and possibly a Lo-Z to Hi-Z converter.  Although it could just me an XLR to 1/4" converter.  But he does use a Shure Beta SM58 sometimes so i know its possible. 

Anyways, thanks.  -Ryan