Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can two M9's be synced? MIDI and other questions

synapsys

Hi, Everybody!

I need some help with the following:

Just bought a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe head, which can change all of its settings via MIDI.

Since I usually use quite a few effects, I'd like to know if its possible to link two M9's via MIDI, just for control. Here goes the MIDI chain, to see if both can be used to MIDI control the amp head:

1st M9 Midi Out===> 2nd M9 Midi In===>2nd M9 Midi Out===>Grandmeister 40 Deluxe Midi In

This way, if I want to select a new patch, will the 1st M9 change (by MIDI) the patch on the 2nd M9 and also change channels on the amp head? Or would I need a MIDI Thru box between the 1st M9 and the 2nd M9 / amp head?

Also the ideia is to have different effects routed differently on each M9, like this chain

Guitar===>:1st M9 (Compressor / Drives / EQ)===> Amp IN===>Amp FX Loop Send===>2nd M9 (Modulation / Delay /Reverb===>Amp FX Loop Return

I use different effect in each type for different amp channel (For instance, a Blue Comp and a Fuzz on clean, with tremolo, analog delay and spring reverb in the amp loop, and the change amp channel, to have a Vetta Juice, a Screamer on High Gain amp channel, with flanger, digital delay and hall reverb in the amp loop).

So the ideia is to use MIDI to change presets on both M9's and on the amp at the same time. Is this doable?

Final question concerning the noise gate. Since the M9 has a global noise gate, do I have to program it spearately in each, of can the gate also be changed on the 2nd M9 via MIDI?

Hope tihs wasn't too confusing...

You should be able to link an M9 to an M9 and then to a midi-controlled amp.  However, you may not be able to control the amp from an M9.  In this case, I would recommend you adding a midi controller to the front of the midi chain.

I use a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro (GCP) for this purpose.  It controls all midi controllable devices down the chain regardless of guitar signal chain.  Currently, I have two setups: GCP to a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Switcher (switches analog pedals on and off), then to the front end of the amp.  From the amp, I come out of the effects loop and into a TC ELEC G MAJ 2 (time based effects such as mod, delay and reverb), then back to the return of the amp..  This works great.

My 2nd setup has a GCP and the Switcher like above and everything is routed the same way.  However, instead of the G MAJ 2, I have an M13 on a sliding shelf.  I setup all of my M13 effects as I would like them and then save a preset on the GCP.  It works fantastic! 

If I had a midi amp, my GCP would control that as well and I would simply save the preset.  Once the preset is called up, every item responds to how I had it set when I saved the preset...

I hope this helps...

So the 1st M9 won't send PC commands? I thought it did, at least M13 did.

If it does send PC commands, would a MIDI Thru box, send the PC received to the 2nd M9 and to the amp? I'll only be working with PC commands, so I thought this would be much easier...