Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting up volume for church

JohnKochJr

I hope someone will have some infinite knowledge to assist me. I have a small amp at my house that I am using to setup the patches I like for playing at church. At home, through the amp, the volume is blowing me away and I have my amp between 1-2. 

When I get to the church and plug into their PA using the balanced out, I have to crank the master to max and go in a push the mixer to the max as well and then they even have to push their input levels to max to get a good mix. The other guitar player, when he is playing, doesn't have to do that at all. In fact, they have to back things down and he only has his master to about half way. 

I know it is a little apples/oranges comparison since he is using a fractal pedal while I am using the HD500 but it seems a little excessive for the amount of work I have to go through to get good levels.

Am I missing something or is there maybe something wrong with my pedal? Like I said, at home, using 1/4 out or XLR out into my amp, it is more than loud and drives my amp hard. By the way, my amp is an acoustic 60W amp. That is all I have at the moment. 

If it is my setup, what should I buy or do to be able to get a good representation of what the output will be once I get to the church?

I had that problem years ago...the way I solved it: Bring my amp to the church and use a SM57 MIC (physical) to amplify my sound. Now the sound guy can control my mix in the console, my monitor volume, etc. I don't have to deal with changes on my sound from my house to the church. Usually I set my patches at the same volume level (house-church) and everything seems to be fine.