Sign in to follow this  
holdTheLine6

Jtv-89: Getting Knob Out Of The Way

Hi,

I am considering buying the JTV-89 (or JTV-89F, JTV-89-US, JTV-89F-US). As on most modern-strat-style guitars, there is a knob pretty close to the strings (the one between the toggle switch and the bridge). Though not having played the JTV-89 yet, I think it would interfer with my playing when palm-muting the high strings.

What can I do about it? I guess because of the electronics inside I cannot have a luthier reposition it. Can I replace the knob with a very short knob (if any exist)? Or can I temporarily remove it after having configured the programs, only using the toggle switch for program changes? Any other suggestions?

Greets

holdTheLine6

I don't think it'll be a problem...go to your local store and try one out.  I have had the JTV-89F for a few weeks now and its not a problem for me...I can't imagine your technique is wildly different, but perhaps it is...worth checking out in person to make sure.

I have played the JTV-89 today. Indeed, the knob is a smaller problem than I thought. Nevertheless, it does interfere with my playing a bit. Fortunately, if I cannot get used to the knob position, I can easily remove it, leaving the axis bare, which offers just enough space for my hand.

Another thing I do not like is the little "step" on top of the body near the strings, where my fingers often like to float unhindered. But I guess a little piece of plastic attached to the body will solve the problem.

Apart from that, I was pleased with the ergonomics. I got the impression that it is a surprisingly light guitar.