Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix rack: initial impressions

twohandband

I'd encourage you to maybe look at a couple of pro IRs just to get the lay of the land.  In IR land it seems to me that you tend to get what you pay for.

Probably my favorite IRs are Celestions, particularly their premixed sets that combine R121 mics and MD421 mics.  I'm particularly happy with the Redbacks, Celestion Blues (Alnico), Creambacks and Vintage 30s...but it's really a matter of taste.  But it's worth seeing the difference between free and production level products.

Now you've got me mildly curious... I don't suppose anybody has an IR for a 4x12 with vintage G12-80s? 

Not that specific one, although they do have the updated CL80.  You might want to check out all the ones they have

https://www.celestionplus.com/products/irs-by-speaker/

Pity. Out of all things celestion the CL80 is, to my ears, the one that differs the most from it's vintage counterpart. My go-to live cab for over a decade has been a Marshall 4x12 with vintage G12-80s. Not common; most G12-80s back in the day were 8 ohm models made with combo amps in mind. I found it when I was working with a touring act and we were using backline provided by the local production company. I didn't want to use whatever worn-out jcm-900 the local yokels had in their back room so I had a small rig that fit in a 6u rack and was just putting a Marshall 1960 cabinet in the rider. Generally those will have one of a few different speakers any of which is easy to work with. In this instance they had this beat-to-hell slant cab somebody had spray painted white and I'm thinking seriously?! The owner of the production company saw the way I was looking at it and said trust me, that's my best sounding cab! So I plug in and it really was magical. After the show I asked the guy what speakers were in there; he hadn't had the back off and didnt know. I aaked him how much he'd have to have for that cabinet, bought it off of him, and paid way too much to have it shipped to my address. I'd love to see a cab model with these speakers but am not holding my breath.