Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Did I just brick my Helix? 2.5 FW update.

digipenguin

Hi.

I hope you guys can help.

I just bought a Helix. Tried to update the firmware and now it's unusable.

I downloaded the 2.52 HX Edit and Line 6 Updater 1.12.

Helix is installed with newest drivers and recognized in Device Manager.

I attempted to download the Helix 2.5 Flash Memory FW but the file was corrupt and would not download. I tried in Firefox, IE and Chrome on two different computers. All windows machines. All gave me download errors.

Tried to backup with HX edit but it would not connect saying the FW was too old to use HX Edit.

Since the Helix is bone stock I wasn't worried about losing anything so I pushed on and launched the Updater.

Updater recognized the Helix and I followed the prompts, choosing 2.5 firmware.

The fw downloaded but i had no progress on the progress bar during the install. After about 30 seconds the update failed as verified both by the Updater and on the Helix screen.

I followed the prompts to power cycle and try again. When I switched the Helix back on the Helix screen showed a boot error and stated the Helix started in Update mode.

I hoped this was normal and pushed on again. Same results, Updater, 2.5 FW, error.

On the last attempt. I turned off the Helix, switched the USB cable to a different port, verified it was recognized and rebooted the computer with a hard reset and started the process again. Updater, 2,5 FW. This time the progress bar started moving. Yeah!...........then it stopped, Booo!....Same error.

However, this time when I power cycled the Helix the screen doesn' show the helix graphic instead it is randomly and quickly flashing small symbols (I think they are all the Block symbols) and below that you can see the word 'HELIX' like normal except in a slightly smaller font 'HELIX RACK' is flashing superimposed over it.

I can start the helix in Update mode by pressing FS6 and FS 12 while booting the unit and it is still recognized by windows but it still will not update. So it's basically a 1500 paperweight after 48 hours of owning it.

Any suggestions?

Hi.

I hope you guys can help.

I just bought a Helix. Tried to update the firmware and now it's unusable.

I downloaded the 2.52 HX Edit and Line 6 Updater 1.12.

Helix is installed with newest drivers and recognized in Device Manager.

I attempted to download the Helix 2.5 Flash Memory FW but the file was corrupt and would not download. I tried in Firefox, IE and Chrome on two different computers. All windows machines. All gave me download errors.

Tried to backup with HX edit but it would not connect saying the FW was too old to use HX Edit.

Since the Helix is bone stock I wasn't worried about losing anything so I pushed on and launched the Updater.

Updater recognized the Helix and I followed the prompts, choosing 2.5 firmware.

The fw downloaded but i had no progress on the progress bar during the install. After about 30 seconds the update failed as verified both by the Updater and on the Helix screen.

I followed the prompts to power cycle and try again. When I switched the Helix back on the Helix screen showed a boot error and stated the Helix started in Update mode.

I hoped this was normal and pushed on again. Same results, Updater, 2.5 FW, error.

On the last attempt. I turned off the Helix, switched the USB cable to a different port, verified it was recognized and rebooted the computer with a hard reset and started the process again. Updater, 2,5 FW. This time the progress bar started moving. Yeah!...........then it stopped, Booo!....Same error.

However, this time when I power cycled the Helix the screen doesn' show the helix graphic instead it is randomly and quickly flashing small symbols (I think they are all the Block symbols) and below that you can see the word 'HELIX' like normal except in a slightly smaller font 'HELIX RACK' is flashing superimposed over it.

I can start the helix in Update mode by pressing FS6 and FS 12 while booting the unit and it is still recognized by windows but it still will not update. So it's basically a 1500 paperweight after 48 hours of owning it.

Any suggestions?

Me too,,,pretty much exactly. I put in a ticket yesterday...will let you know if I get a reply.

Part of mine is working however. It would not take my backup so I had to rebuild presets and I got thru a gig with it. The Legacy effects came over but the new amps didn't....and now I can't access a handful of stock amps. 

I missed the note the first time about Explorer not playing well with the updater. I uninstalled and reinstalled all L6 software thru Firefox and got some things back. Haven't tried Chrome yet.

Up to now, Helix has been awesome. Looking forward to patching mine up and moving forward.

I opened a ticket yesterday but I closed it today. Figured it out.

I installed the last Updater (1.11) via Chrome and used it to Install 1.10 FW. My helix came with 1.06.5.

At first I was getting the same issue but on the second try the progress bar actually started to move.

Every time I started up the HELIX I started in Safe Boot mode.

With a working unit now I next disconnected from the computer and used footswitch 9 and 10 during power on to reset global settings and load factory presets.

Power cycled again. Reconnected. verified in Device Manager.

Used 1.11 installer again to load 2.5 FW. Worked.

Thanks.