Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XD-AD8 Failure

So it looks like we had a failure with the XD-AD8 power distribution.  Towards the end of a weeklong event, we lost all of our wireless mic's.

After a good bit of troubleshooting, it appears something happened with the power distribution.

IpaeGTX.jpg

So in the above image, the top receiver is powered directly by the wall plug.  The bottom one is powered by the xd-ad8.  Basically the screen was dimly lit, and the transmitter status showed as muted.  The transmitter did transmit a signal.   

Since I of course had all the original power adapters at home and not on site, we had to run around and find universal 9v adapters for our 9 receivers.  

Anyone know what happened?  Is there a fix?  The antenna distribution still seemed to be powered and worked.

Thanks,

-Brian

TESN.US

That's a bit worrying!

What voltage did you measure on the cable? Was it steady DC or any AC present? (I do think those single daisy chain power cables are a bad idea as they're not as secure as they really should be and if the (non-locking) connection to the AD8 becomes loose, you could lose a whole set of receivers. Likewise if one receiver goes rogue, it could affect the others on that same chain.) It'll be a couple of days before I can get to mine to meter it out but I'll post up the results here as a comparison.

I imagine the power distro in the XD8 is probably totally separate from the antennae distro so if one goes down, the other doesn't automatically suffer too.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, Sheriton said:

That's a bit worrying!

What voltage did you measure on the cable? Was it steady DC or any AC present? (I do think those single daisy chain power cables are a bad idea as they're not as secure as they really should be and if the (non-locking) connection to the AD8 becomes loose, you could lose a whole set of receivers. Likewise if one receiver goes rogue, it could affect the others on that same chain.) It'll be a couple of days before I can get to mine to meter it out but I'll post up the results here as a comparison.

I imagine the power distro in the XD8 is probably totally separate from the antennae distro so if one goes down, the other doesn't automatically suffer too.

I'll have to dig into it when I get the unit back.  (It's currently being shipped home with all our other equipment).   

I also hate the non locking power.  I can't tell you how many times they've come unplugged when fiddling with other cables in the rack.  

On 3/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, ytsejamr said:

I also hate the non locking power.  I can't tell you how many times they've come unplugged when fiddling with other cables in the rack.  

There's a loop on the back of the receivers that I guess is intended for cable restraint. It's fine for the single PSUs as you can push a loop of the cable through it & stick the plug through that loop but less use for the daisy cables. I ended up cable tying that cable to each loop - no accidental disconnection issues since I did that.

• 5 weeks later...

Wanted to update this.  I checked the voltage coming out of the XD-AD8 and it measured around 8.6 volts.  The wall adapter measures 9.3 volts.  The receivers must be quite sensitive to the incoming voltage?  

My only guess is that something happened to the xd-ad8 that messed with the voltage.

??

-Brian