Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch for Gibson 335

Indianrock2020

Sold my 500x and created two patches for the new user.  He plays a Gibson 335 and usually insists on using the neck pickup.  Just wondering if there is anything about that particular guitar type that I would need to take into account when choose amp models, mics and cabs???

Not sure where he runs his tone pots.
I tested the patches with my James Tyler Variax 59 using the onboard humbuckers, thinking I could get close to what he needed that way.   The patches were dual amp -- the one he tested was using the AC30 TB and a Marshall Pre amp .     The two cab/mic combinations in use were as shown below ( Meambobbo's favorite ) .  Other than that nothing weird about the patch but even with the bass on the two amps roledl to zero, and low cut on the cabs pushed up a bit,  his tone was too bassy to cut through a band mix.  Treble, cut and presence were tried at 5-7.  I got him to try the bridge pickup briefly, which of course was much better, but he won't stick with that.  

The patch had the basic "overdrive" and the tube driver assigned to a couple of footswitches.   Those sound poor ( flubby ) on the neck pickup also.

Uber V-30 4x12 57 on axis  
XXL 4x12 121 Ribbon

I can certainly try some different cabs, but I used those with similar amps for two years and it worked well for modern church music, which is where the owner is using his 335.  When he flips to the bridge pickup it's pretty good--- he just won't stay there  :-)     Our tones go from clean to medium crunch, rarely anything more aggressive and I set the patches up that way.