Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Creating and mixing BIG rock guitar tones with Helix (Archetype Lead)

GuitarjonSDS

Hey guys!

It has been a while!

I made a new tutorial video about creating and mixing huge heavy rock guitar tones in Helix Native because I very often get questions about this process.
Figured I'd share it here since some of you might enjoy this. :)
I explain the amp settings and some things about the mixing.
The mixing for these guitars turned out to be super basic but with a good 'base-tone' you definitely don't need a lot of processing.
Usually when during the mixing process I notice that too much stuff has to happen to make the tones good, I just go back and change amp settings or IR's rather than having to fix everything after the fact.
So yeah, less is more!

The new Waves PRS amp models came out a few days ago.
I wasn't a fan of GTR3 but I figured I'd try the new plugins.
They definitely aren't bad but I felt that the Archon (Archetype Lead) in Helix (Native) was so much more convinving and easier to dial in.
So I decided to go with Helix anyway...
Long story short, Helix is HARD to beat! ;)

Here it is, let me know what you think:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Cool stuff Jon. Not my usual bag, but I like what you've got there for what that is.

Have you ever played with Ripple as another way to add some top end definition? It seems to have a somewhat different effect with different amps, but it's an interesting option IMO.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:08 PM, zooey said:

Cool stuff Jon. Not my usual bag, but I like what you've got there for what that is.

Have you ever played with Ripple as another way to add some top end definition? It seems to have a somewhat different effect with different amps, but it's an interesting option IMO.

I haven't ever messed with the Ripple setting but I definitely will now!

Thanks for the suggestion!

One weird heads-up about it: You may have noticed that the Litigator has an unusual amount of hum in it. Oddly enough, that's Ripple. Turn it way down, no hum, or much less anyway.

I haven't done exhaustive testing, but I'm not aware of any other amps where that happens. I associate the Hum control with more hum, duh, but it's different than this. I've been meeting to ask Ben Adrian about it, and specifically if maybe he can lower the hum in the Litigator without changing the tone.

Anyway, have fun with it, I have been :)