Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XT Live: Foot pedal doesn't switch between wah and volume [solved]

I just bought POD XT Live (second hand, of course, in excellent condition).

I don't understand the foot pedal. Isn't it supposed to change from wah to volume no matter which patch ('channel memory') I have chosen?

I get a nice click when I toe down, but it either stays on volume or stays on wah, depending on whether I chose on/off in the wah settings.

But I can't change between wah and volume using the toe switch.

Thanks for any solution/clarification.

EDIT: I figured out that it wasn't anything in the settings, but that the switch was simply physically broken.

Well, then here is some more detail!

The switch is two sheets of metal stuck together. One is concave, which produces the 'click' when you depress it.

I guess the contact switch is sandwiched in the middle.

In my case, the sheets of metal had moved away from the centre of the hole or aperture. I still got the click, but the contacts were not touching.

The switch has a sheet of plastic over the top to stop dust getting in.

My plastic was ripped and degrading anyway, so I cut it out. Under it, I could see the metal sheet of the switch, and a bit of green circuit board to one side.

So I slid the metal sheet back to the centre (there is a small depression in the centre). This fixed the switch.

On my pedal, the underside has a plain metal prong which depresses the switch. I'm willing to bet that it used to have rubber on it, but that it came off. I didn't like the idea of this metal prong pressing directly into the switch, so I used one of these things that you stick onto the bottom of chair legs to stop them scraping on the floor - basically a little bit of cloth with a very sticky side. It has stuck firmly onto the prong, and protects the switch nicely. Because it is a few millimeters thick, I now don't have to put all my weight on the pedal to change from volume to wah, which I've read is a common complaint.