Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd Pro - Fx Loop Question.

NucleusX

Hi.

Just a quick question.

At the moment I'm using the FX Loop as normal with the Loop block positioned between 2 other FX blocks.

I'm wanting to know if I can put the "FX Loop send" between 2 FX blocks and the "FX Loop Return"

between 2 other FX blocks later in the chain essentially forming a parallel or side-chain ?

No, you can't, but you can create the same effect by assigning multiple slots to one footswitch.

For example, say you want to swap between your favourite fuzz pedal and one of the internal drive effects - put the FX loop and the drive effect in adjacent slots and, with one switched one and one switched off, assign both of those slots to the same footswitch. Then when you press that switch, loop turns on and drive turns off, or vice versa.

Et voila!

• Upvote 1

Tis a shame.

I was looking at a bigger picture than just simple swapping between 2 FX.

Purpose of that question is because I'm deeply exploring all my routing possibilities

in a serial AND parallel fashion, pre, post and side fx to the POD HD Pro.

I love it for the amp sim but hate it for its FX and DSP limitations which has me

thinking right outta the box to supplement it with whatever I can.

Seems I'm in a quest for an elusive tone and I'm sure some of you

understand what I mean, this kind of thing takes some experimentation.

I'm not sure you're sure what you're trying to achieve.

If you truly mean 'parallel', you'd need to split the signal prior to the FX send, otherwise all you're really doing is switching between effects.

I made a patch a while ago where I had two delays either in parallel or in series but, in terms of building the patch, I needed three delays (2 on one path, one on the other) set up so that the serial and parallel ones were applied to the same switch as in my example above. Or, I could set the expression pedal to blend between series and parallel. It wasn't a great deal of use sound-wise, but I found it an interesting thought process.

If you can give me a more specific example of what you're trying to achieve, I'll probably be able to tell you whether or not it's possible.

Yeh after 18 years of being a muso I think I'm sure of what I'm doing but like I said, in the case

of hunting tone, it might take some reconfiguring and experimenting till you get what you want.

For the most part, I don't usually see people going to THIS much trouble but seen as tho

electronics is my forte and so picky with tone, I thought it wise to investigate how flexible this

POD HD Pro really is and what unique limitations are present with it.

This is in fact my very first Line 6 product ever which I've only just bought and I'm trying

to get through the Line 6 learning curve as quickly as possible.

As for "truly parallel" all the way through, you are right but its simple semantics to me.

I already know to split guitar output to 2 inputs and sum both outputs together right

at the end of the chain, or splicing in stuff from the FX loop as a single effect or

an entire chain, or even a combination of both series and parallel.

If you can be happy with POD HD on its own with minimal extra's then more power to you.

Unfortunately to me, there's some serious limitations inherent in it concerning DSP and to

get closer to a tone I want, I have a need for extra stereo FX "BEFORE" the amp sim

and stereo FX "AFTER" the amp sim to fill it out.

This is just me figuring out how far I can push this thing and what can be done to work

around those limitations with some bonuses too and just to be clear, I have the POD  

in a full sized rack in amongst other rack mixer and FX components and acts like the

central nexus to everything I use for recording, so as you can expect, more connections!

Sounds like a fun rig.

Bear in mind you can use two inputs for stereo into the POD, and each of the two signal paths is stereo as well, so as long as you're not dual amping, you could retain a stereo signal, including a stereo FX loop, all the way through, or split into two parallel, and both stereo, paths.

Like you, I'm interested in what it can and can't do, as much out of curiosity as whether it will be of any practical use to me, and I agree it has its limitations (as any piece of kit always will), but I thoroughly enjoy the process of pushing the boundaries.

Yeh cool, you just worded it perfectly.

And yeh it can be a fun rig to configure. Reseting all the parameters can be a pain too.

So with a single amp I can keep it stereo before and after the amp sim but not with dual amps ?

Woulde kinda defeat the purpose if I can't use amp sims as the POD's central and most used feature.

Still, ive made some pretty sweet direct chains with enough tweaking, free's up the extra DSP aswell.

Hope I can at least use one amp sim, i'd rarely use dual tone tbh.

Yeh I always keep the FX Loop block after the mixer as it seems

optimal there and that takes care of the Post Amp stereo path.

The stereo path before the amp sims is what looking at now.

Ok lets say hypothetically I wanted to achieve this configuration.

Guitar > External FX (Stereo) > HD Pro Line input (Stereo) > Internal HD Pro FX (Stereo) > HD Pro amp sim (?) > FX Loop Send (Stereo) > External FX (Stereo) > FX Loop Return (Stereo) > Internal HD Pro FX (Stereo) > Output (Stereo).

What im trying to achieve here is a perfectly symmetrical stereo path from the beginning to the end of that entire chain.

What im not sure of is how the amp (or amps) sim will effect that stereo path once the signal reaches it.

To pass a stereo signal both in AND out of the amp (or amps) sim, would I need a single amp setup for this or dual amp

or would I have to completely remove the amp sim stages to preserve the stereo image from the line inputs ? 

Ahh, thanks jandrio, seems I missed that in the 10 thousand page manual lol.

Still begs the question of wether I can do this without the amp sim tho...

Or maybe I could do this with dual amps with the mixer set properly ?

I prefer to achieve this with amps if possible.