Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which pre-amp model for edge of breakup?

trey803

I run my HX stomp into a squeaky clean tube amp and have been using the plexi jump pre-amp as a dirty channel.

What are some other good pre-amp models for this?

I'm looking for better dynamics than the plexi jump model. I feel like there is too much compression when backing off on pick attack to clean up the signal.

I find myself always coming back to the LItigator for the very reasons you mentioned along with my personal taste, no matter how many new updates or new curiosities come my way.  HOWEVER, in my opinion, the most 'dynamic' amp in the Helix lineup is the Grammatico if you're wanting to get from pristine clean to "edge of breakup" to slight gain - with just a simple turn of the guitar volume knob and nothing else.  Make yourself a preset that switches between those two amps, add one of the King of Tone mods to the chain, and I can't imagine needing anything else (other than reverb, delay, etc) for the playing style I suspect you are interested in. 

6 minutes ago, jlondon53 said:

I find myself always coming back to the LItigator for the very reasons you mentioned along with my personal taste, no matter how many new updates or new curiosities come my way.  HOWEVER, in my opinion, the most 'dynamic' amp in the Helix lineup is the Grammatico if you're wanting to get from pristine clean to "edge of breakup" to slight gain - with just a simple turn of the guitar volume knob and nothing else.  Make yourself a preset that switches between those two amps, add one of the King of Tone mods to the chain, and I can't imagine needing anything else (other than reverb, delay, etc) for the playing style I suspect you are interested in. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually keep a KOT in between my tuner and HX stomp for boost duties. I use the HX stomp for delays/modulation and pre-amp models for drive/crunch/lead tones. 

Looks like the grammatico is a 5e3 clone and the litigator has nods to dumble?

1 hour ago, jester700 said:

I like Litigator because I prefer a smooth breakup with little bite for this sound. But it's all preference, really.

For this I'm aiming for a biting rhythym tone that can clean up with playing dynamics. The plexi jump is great sounding and does clean up but the low attack-clean notes really jump out very similar to having a compressor on. I find myself scratching my head as this doesn't feel like what I'm used.