Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Phase correlation

OrangeBlackstar

Hello, 

I hope everyone is doing alright! So I was mixing in logic and I noticed that my guitar tracks had a negative correlation. I recorded two tracks from the helix, both with the same patch and settings, one was panned 100% left and one was panned 100% right. The correlation hovers around 0, i‘d say around 60% of the time it’s below 0. Not by a lot, but it’s below 0. I’ve tried inverting phases on the tracks and all that does is cancel out audio. I know the first response is probably going to be to “play tighter.” I’m not Paul Gilbert or Yngwie, but the playing on those tracks is tight. I don’t think the negative correlation is a timing issue. Is this something that’s just standard for double tracking? If I pan them more towards the center the correlation goes up, but the whole point of double tracking (in my opinion) is to get that stereo spread by hard panning. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance! 

If you're playing the exact same thing on each track that's gonna happen. Even if you edit your DI to be "perfectly" in time, when you run two separately recorded tracks through distortion for reamping you're going to get what you're seeing if you use the same amp/cab settings. It really is best to mix with your ears and only use the visuals when you can't identify what doesn't sound right.