Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for a modern metal/hardcore/djent bass tone

Jampzz

Hello everyone! I've had my helix LT for 6 months now and i'm super happy. Already found my sweetspot in guitar tones that i'm already using in my mixes. The only thing i can't seem to get right are bass tones. I'm looking for something gritty, darkglass style. I've tried every route i could think of: double chaining separated lows/highs and blending inside the helix, using the obsidian pedal on highs, recording only highs and adding the low di on my daw, etc.

If you have any advice it would be highly appreciated. Cheers!

Reference tones: Knocked loose, periphery, varials, northlane, etc, pretty much all metalcore/hardocore/prog bass tones sound pretty similar nowadays haha

Did you achieve the desired sound with the same bass on some other platform?

The bass guitar should have fresh roundwound strings and a low action to get enough fret buzz.

Your approach appears good to me. It is all about separating the fundamental lows, keeping them controlled. The highs can be distorted to taste, most of the time a certain amount of clean, punchy highs are preserved. The Obsidian/Darkglass pedal is a good tool for that job. It might also be a good idea to cut the lows AFTER the distortion, supplying a fullrange signal to the effect to preseve its "natural" response.

Yeah, i've achieved some tones I like using neural dsp stuff and some other bass vst's like ignite amps and even guitar sims like toneforge. Never tried that. My next step is probably gonna be cutting those lows after the distortion and blending it with the low DI inside the DAW instead of the helix itself. Thanks!