Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording Time Limits

So the ~ 4 hour recording time limit is well documented. What I couldn't find any info on was whether that was "total of all recording sessions on the disk" or in a single recording session. We'll be running our first full show record tomorrow night and I'm trying to make sure I have everything ready.

I would guess that the limit is due to trying to keep each .WAV file under a 4G limit. so as such, the limit applies to a single recording session, not per recording device. And if you're recording say 7 inputs, you'd be looking at about 28G for the full 4 hours, or fill up one 32G SD card. If you had a 64G SD card (or were recording to a USB HD), you could record multiple 4 hour sessions on the same disk.

Is that assumption correct? Or is it really a limit "per disk"?

Individual tracks are limited to the 4G limit.  But the number of sessions you can have on a card are limited by the total card size.  So a smaller number of tracks recorded will give you more sessions than a larger number of tracks on a given card.

I would recommend that you start and stop when possible. I would at least start and stop after each set.  Otherwise you end up with huge file sizes which do take some time to manipulate on your DAW.

It might not be obvious ... but if you record the stereo 2tk LR then that track being stereo will be shorted than recording a single mono track.  And when you get to the limit of that stereo track it will stop the recording.  So plan ahead :)