Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Leveling and volume options questions

sixstringthing1

Hey all,

I have a question about overall volume control and preset leveling.  I just watched "Learning with Line 6 | POD Go Wireless | Preset Leveling & Gain Staging" on YouTube.

The instructor taught preset leveling by using a clean preset at your favored volume setting, then matching the volume of other louder/softer presets.  He used only the Channel Volume in the preset to set all preset volumes.  He also set the PG main volume knob at 1/2 (50%, 12 o'clock) so he could raise or lower the volume in a live setting.

1.  One question is, what about the Output Block level?  When is it used and what for?

2.  Also, I'm playing direct to a single 8" Studio Monitor.  Where should the Monitor volume be set for best quality tone?

Any tips or ideas are appreciated!  

6 hours ago, sixstringthing1 said:

Hey all,

I have a question about overall volume control and preset leveling.  I just watched "Learning with Line 6 | POD Go Wireless | Preset Leveling & Gain Staging" on YouTube.

The instructor taught preset leveling by using a clean preset at your favored volume setting, then matching the volume of other louder/softer presets.  He used only the Channel Volume in the preset to set all preset volumes.  He also set the PG main volume knob at 1/2 (50%, 12 o'clock) so he could raise or lower the volume in a live setting.

1.  One question is, what about the Output Block level?  When is it used and what for?

2.  Also, I'm playing direct to a single 8" Studio Monitor.  Where should the Monitor volume be set for best quality tone?

Any tips or ideas are appreciated!  

All eminently sensible, I set my Pod Go main volume to 50-60% too, to allow for live quick adjustment.  

Re the Output block this can have a number of uses.  Examples might include:

1. Where you have a quieter amp model that you want to keep clean eg the Princeton, and where even with the Channel option maxed out it's not loud enough as compared to other patches. Here, you can up the Output block to compensate

2. I often use the Output block as a clean lead boost for solos. Typically I do away with the FX loop and make that a level increase by 3db.  The advantage is it's completely clean and doesn't colour tone, and you can kick in with any fx combinations. Although you can use things like EQ, and distortion pedals to give a boost, a) these colour/distort tone (fine of course if that's what you want) and b) unless you engage that pedal you have no volume boost. 

It's actually very difficult to balance patches for volume. Even if you used a volume meter, this only gives you a relative volume level. It doesn't allow for the level you might need to punch through the mix in a live setting and that can be different from patch to patch depending on gain levels, room ambience etc.  In a live setting, you'll often need to dime down reverb, delay, modulation & gain levels to help make the patch punchier through the mix.  A lot also has to do with your mids that are what you need to raise to help punch through the mix (Fletcher Munson Curves - loads of info on the internet on this).   Home and gig tones can therefore be very different - patches that sound great at home can be awful in a band mix and vice-a-versa.

I haven't played live yet with my Pod Go, but on my Vox Tonelab SE and LE my patches are set for gig volumes.  

Voxman! I was hoping you would reply. I’ve read a great number of your posts on PodGo, and learned a lot from you already. You are certainly an expert and are very generous with your time and expertise! Thank you for the quick and very thorough response.

I should have mentioned I don’t gig, only play at home through the single 8” studio monitor (Kali LP-8).

Great explanation for the Output Block volume. That makes sense, and is perfectly clear. I think it’s a pretty common issue (especially for Newbies like myself) to have low volume problems with clean tones. Now I know how to fix it!

Yes, that Fletcher-Munson curve certainly affects tone shaping, especially for at-home “bedroom” volume levels.

One last question please… do you ever play through studio monitors, and can you say what might be a “best” volume setting? Should the monitor volume be maxed or ½ way?

Thank you for all you help!

On 9/22/2021 at 5:20 PM, sixstringthing1 said:

Voxman! I was hoping you would reply. I’ve read a great number of your posts on PodGo, and learned a lot from you already. You are certainly an expert and are very generous with your time and expertise! Thank you for the quick and very thorough response.

I should have mentioned I don’t gig, only play at home through the single 8” studio monitor (Kali LP-8).

Great explanation for the Output Block volume. That makes sense, and is perfectly clear. I think it’s a pretty common issue (especially for Newbies like myself) to have low volume problems with clean tones. Now I know how to fix it!

Yes, that Fletcher-Munson curve certainly affects tone shaping, especially for at-home “bedroom” volume levels.

One last question please… do you ever play through studio monitors, and can you say what might be a “best” volume setting? Should the monitor volume be maxed or ½ way?

Thank you for all you help!

You're more than welcome & I'm glad if any of my posts have been helpful. 

Re studio monitors, if you mean small studio speakers you should set these to a comfortable listening level combined with Pod Go output level.  If you set any device to maximum by definition you are 'pushing it to its limits' which means you might get some unwanted distortion or other sonic irregularities.  No difference really to e.g. how high you set your computer speakers.  Obviously depends on the quality of your studio speakers.  

When listening through headphones, don't overdo the volume as longer term exposure to high headphone volumes can cause damage to your ears.  For Pod Go you need studio grade monitoring headphones for best results.  These are different to headphones you might use for normal music listening.  Probably the two most popular and best value are the  32 Ohm Audio Technica ATH50Mx (which I have) and the  Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Studio Monitor Headphones (these come in various impedance 'flavours' - opinions vary as some folk go 32 Ohms and some 250 Ohms but most folk tend to favour the 80 Ohm versions for a sensible balance of audio quality and volume levels - the 250 Ohm impedance might give a tad more definition, but volume levels will be lower).  Although you might think the 32 Ohm Beyerdynamic and 32 Ohm ATH50Mx are 'equivalent' reports by those with both suggest the 80 Ohm Beyerdynamic is closest to the ATH50Mx.