Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and DT 50 - Recording

bverdon

I have a Helix floor unit and a DT50 head and matching 4X12 cab. I feel like I have finally got some good tones through this set up but I have tried mic'ing this puppy up and well... it always sounds buzzy.. not what I am hearing in the room. I have tried multiple mic's ... angles, distances...  It's probably the small room I am in just doesn't have decent acoustics... but to my ears (and of course, I am slightly angles from the cab... ) just doesn't sound good mic'd. I would probably have the same issue with other amps in this room.. not sure.

Well... messing around today, I sent the same signal I am sending to the DT 50, I split off an xlr with a cab... and feel like this is so much closer to what I am hearing in the room from the amp in the room.  I think the volume is slightly high.. but the tone is there. In the short clip of me noodleing I switch between several pickups and I hear/feel the dynamics of what that sounds like in the room with the amp .  What I really like about this is, I can play my DT50 while recording a backing track and capture more of a performance kind of feel. 

Have you guys messed with anything like this? Run into the same issues when mic'ing cabs. Or... am I just really doing everything wrong? 

Thoughts?