Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Out Source - ruh roh...

z3albw1rr

Oh, oh, they got me yet again.

So the way I'm reading this is, the Amp Out Source can bypass the Cab/IR, but it DOES NOT bypass any Amp Block in the chain.

I'm not playing an amp with a Power Amp in.

My goal was to have a signal with BOTH Amp and Cab going to front of house, and then a signal with NEITHER Amp and Cab going to my Amp onstage.

But it appears this is impossible using the Amp Out jack. Am I right?

Instead, it looks like the only way to do this is use the FX loop Send as an out to the amp, placed before the Amp and Cab blocks, and then the amp and cab blocks going to the Main Output.

But I wanted to use the FX loop for an FX loop.

So then I'm either doubling up the amp - sending a go amp into my amp's input (which may not always be horrible) or if I bypass the amp all I'm getting is a Cab emulation on the FOH signal - how's that going to be?

That's how I do it - with the effects send/receive.

I don't see any reason you couldn't connect the Go's effects send to your effects chain, then come out of the last effects unit into a MFM Y cable. Run one side of the of the Y into your amp. Run the other back into the Go's effects in. Main out goes to mixing board.

Remove the stomp button from your effects send block so you don't inadvertently disable send/receive. 

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the AMP OUT doesn't tap the signal in from of the AMP block by default.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, poodad said:

That's how I do it - with the effects send/receive.

I don't see any reason you couldn't connect the Go's effects send to your effects chain, then come out of the last effects unit into a MFM Y cable. Run one side of the of the Y into your amp. Run the other back into the Go's effects in. Main out goes to mixing board.

Ahh, an elegant solution! I should have thought of this. So long as there are no grounding or impedance issues...

Reason I didn't is because I was thinking to send to the FX, then come back in, and have the volume pedal last in line to do a final min/max volume for the whole chain.

I was planning to use an HX FX in the loop. What I could do though is put the Volume Pedal in the FX instead of in the Go (where it already is, using up a block...which is why I wanted to make use of it since it was already there and without the hack you can't get rid of it).

On 4/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, poodad said:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the AMP OUT doesn't tap the signal in from of the AMP block by default.

You haven't been with Line 6 very long have you? :-)

To use their words, they do some boneheaded things - every device has something goofy. I mean, look at the power supply...

The "Amp Out" should be able to go to an Amp. A Guitar Amp. A Combo Amp. Not just a Power Amp In input. IOW it should not go through either the Amp or Cab blocks by default. You should be able to choose which ones it does. Main out goes to both by default, amp out goes to neither by default. Then switch on the ones you need on the Amp out if you're running into a Power Amp In and either need or don't need the Cab IR.

Thanks for your suggestion though I think that might be my simplest solution.