Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Fx with Digitech Whammy 5 /Midi Changes

simroom

1774088685_Bildschirmfoto2022-08-15um11_36_35.thumb.png.14ef3e5dcd70585b393cd65d0be324b5.pngHi,

I´m really new with Midi programming, so sorry about that. I´ve got the Whammy 5 with my HX FX. I would like to turn on and off the device  (while switching to certain Whammy presets), if it is even possible. I guess the solution is the CC Toggle function, but I couldn´t find out which values to enter. Maybe somone can tell me what to do exactly:). 

Thanks!

I use a Morningstar MC-8 and external pedal to control my whammy, but the MIDI commands should be similar to send from the HXFX.  I have a Helix Floor, so I can't comment on exactly how to set up the HXFX, hopefully someone else can help out with specifics if needed.  

Before starting, make sure you know which Midi channel your Whammy is set to--the instructions are on page 9 of the manual.  You may need to change the channel if you are using other MIDI devices.  You will need to send on this channel from your HXFX.

To change the settings on the Whammy, you use Program Change (PC), not CC.  For each setting, there is a PC for selecting the setting in either bypass or active state.  The Classic mode and the Chords mode (the toggle on the Whammy itself) each have their own PC numbers.

An example using the excerpt from the manual you provided above:

• To engage the Whammy in "Classic Whammy 1 octave up" mode, send PC# 2
  • To bypass the Whammy, staying in "Classic Whammy 1 octave up" mode, send PC# 23
  • To switch the Whammy to "Classic Harmony 1 Octave up/down" mode in bypassed state, send PC# 42
  • To engage the Whammy in "Classic Harmony 1 Octave up/down" mode, send PC# 21
  • To engage the Whammy in "Chords Whammy 2 Octaves down" mode, send PC# 51  (page 11 has chords mode MIDI settings)
  • To stay in "Chords Whammy 2 Octaves down" mode, but bypass the pedal, send PC# 72 (page 11 has chords mode MIDI settings)

To change the pedal position via MIDI, you use CC11.  Per the manual page 12, "A value of 0 on MIDI CC 11 corresponds to a toe up position and a value of 127 corresponds to a toe down position.  Example:

• To engage the Whammy in "Classic Whammy 1 octave up" mode AND toe down, send PC# 2 THEN CC#11 value 127; to change to toe up, send CC#11 value 0; to change to pedal at 50% (unison), send CC#11 value 63 or 64 (1/2 way between 0 and 127).

One nice feature of using MIDI to control the Whammy is that you can create intervals that don't exist in the manual settings on the pedal.  For example, if you want to set it to Whammy up a 3rd, you can use the Whammy up 4th setting, then figure out the CC value corresponding to the pedal position that gives you the 3rd instead of the 4th.

Hope this helps.