Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replicating Dt50 112 Tone

kukan72

Howdy,

I have tried searching through the forum for this answer but cannot find it. I have found some people asking the same or similar question but they normally get flamed and don't get the answer they were looking for. Hopefully I can explain it in a way that will get an answer that makes sense.

I want to replicate the tones I can get when plugging directly into the high input of the DT50 112 into my quad box as I really liek the tone. I have set a clean rhythm channel and a lead channel with the following settings:

Clean - Channel A

Drive = 1
Bass = 10
Mid = 4
Treble = 8
Precense = 4
Reverb = 4
Volume = 10

Topology = I
Class =  A
Mode = Pentode

Lead - Channel B

Drive = 6
Bass = 10
Mid = 3
Treble = 8
Precense = 4
Reverb = 4
Volume = 4

Topology = IV
Class =  A
Mode = Pentode

I can obviously switch between these 2 tones and I would be fine. Problem is, I need 3 or 4 different tones at least, ranging from clean through to lead. This is where I should be able to use the HD500 to program the preamp as desired whilst using the valve poweramp of the DT50.

The issue is that there is no preamp in the preamp models that matches the the preamp used when you plug directly into the DT50. Before someone tells me that I can take an existing preamp and adjust it so it sound like the DT50 because it uses the same preamp modeling, I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. I know nothing about sag, hum and bias. I know nothing about them becasue I am not a valve amp technician. I am a guitarist.

First I tried replicating the clean sound with the HD500. I chose Blackface pre but it sounds very different to my ears. I matched the topology, class, mode as well as the tone and drive settings as per the settings when I plug directly into the DT50 and I turned off cab simulation. The sound is much thinner.

I did the same for the lead tone but I used the treadplate pre. Again it sounded thinner and scratchy rather than smooth with the thump in the bottom end.

What am I doing wrong? Has anyone managed to replicate the tone of the DT50 using the HD500? I relaly think it would be a good idea to include a DT50 preamp tone in the list of preamps.

Thanks in advance for any help.