Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT connection to FOH and tube amp same time.

GDastorg

Well, if you want to hear yourself on stage, then my recommendation is to use use the 1/4" out and connect it to the power amp, or even input of the amp.  I use Fender Twin reverb amps reliably as my monitor mix and there is no effects loop on them.  They are very clean and neutral. 

If you want to be fancy, you can use a send block and run it into the "return" of your amp...  that way you are not sending any cab sim sounds to it.  (Cab sim basically muffles your sound a little bit).  Then in your chain you can add the cab sim/IR AFTER your send block, so that the FOH mix would get everything properly. 

So basically, here's your chain:

guitar -> distortion -> amp -> send1 -> cabinet/IR

Helix also allows you to send different stuff to 1/4" out and XLR, so you can split your signal and place outputs at various places in your path.....  e.g. 1/4" will be right before the cabinet/IR.  That way you can control the volume of your 1/4" output.   It's nice to be able to turn yourself up/down with the volume knob, otherwise you are stuck with only one loudness volume. 

IMO it's not worth it, all this send block business...  On stage all I personally need is to just hear myself, and if I tweak the knobs I can always get the sound that I want without removing the amp/cab simulator.  I always just run the same exact FOH mix to whatever is on stage, preferably a single 1x12" amp/cab, or 2x12" amp/cab.  For some reason Marshall cabs completely destroy my sound and make it too muffled so I need to use some EQ / Global EQ, something about the 4x12" configuration always sounds awful....