Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4CM + EXT amp switching = no switching & hum w/LT?

boynigel

after reading some other similar posts, I'm guessing I need to use a midi switcher instead but figured as a last ditch effort I'd see if anyone else here has a suggestion/fix.

it's not so much 4cm that's giving me hum, it's when I'm hooked up for 4cm, and then connect to my amp via the ext amp out jack (for channel switching).  That's when the hum is introduced.

but that's not the only problem.  my LT won't change the amp's channel.  at first it was user error because I didn't have the Exp 2 jack set up to EXT AMP OUT, as outlined in the manual.  once I did that, it worked.  I toggled back and forth between my amps channels several times.  success!  shut down, walked the dog, came back an hour later- no more channel switching.  what?  checked all the aforementioned settings, which held, but still no channel switching functionality.  I changed them, and then switched them back to how they needed to be and still nothing.  out of ideas, tried TRS cable (even though standard 1/4" worked), still nothing.

I don't understand how I had external channel switching functionality, and then "poof", it was gone.

• boynigel changed the title to 4CM + EXT amp switching = no switching & hum w/LT?
  • 9 months later...

I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I couldn't get any MFX units (previously my GSP1101, currently my Helix LT) with a 1/4" channel switcher to actually switch the channel on the Peavey.  Seems there is some potential on the type of switchers they use that the Peavey, and apparently some other amps, can't handle.  So I built an optocoupler circuit to isolate the Helix switcher and Peavey channel jack and got it working.