Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So The Midi Is Still Broken?

RipperShred

Okay, so I've upgraded the firmware to 2.20 on my HD Pro, set the CC numbers to correspond to the with FS numbers, i.e.; CC#51 for FS1, etc on my Midimate. It's the newest midimate rocktron offers so its firmware is up to date.

Problem is regardless of whether the preset's CC is set to "on" or "off" it just toggles the state of the footswitch. The HD Pro doesn't "intelligently" understand whether the message is "on" or "off" it just sees "toggle state". So if the HD's patch's effects (like distortion, or delay for instance) are set to "on" then whether the CCs are "on" or "off" when I recall the preset, those patch's effects are switched off.

When the effects on the patch are saved as off, then it receives the midi CC change to toggle it on.

Once the patch is recalled, the corresponding CC footswitches will toggle the effect on or off, but I have to save the patch in the opposite state I mean it to be in. It's even more maddening to experience than it is to read the above explanation.

Is there a fix for this that I don't know about? Something in the settings that corrects this?

Thank you to anyone and everyone in advance who has helpful information regarding this issue!

That's some serious sadism! :huh: I will do as you say and post on the ideascale website, as that's obviously broken. I can't be the only one with a non-fbv controller scratching their head going WTF? Having to program all of the patches backwards boggles the mind. This is the first time I've ever encountered a company half-assing the midi implementation; EVERY other box at the very least can tell when a CC is ON or OFF, even if it doesn't let you select every parameter under the sun to modify it with.

Seriously, code-wise a simple IF-THAN line added in would suffice; IF value = 0 THAN FS = OFF, IF value = 127 THAN FS = ON. Argggggg!!

Hmm, my experience (using FCB1010) is that this toggling on POD HD is much better than it was previously with POD XT which understood 0-63 as OFF and 64-127 as ON. For POD XT I often had to double tap a single pedal to get what I wanted (because when another FCB switch was selected previously then it will always send a fixed value first, say ON, then OFF second, so in order to switch off you need to tap twice), now on POD HD it's perfect, only one tap all the time. Moreover, on POD HD it's possible by one FCB pedal tap to switch, say, two effects off and another two on (very useful to change the sound completely for a solo) and in my understanding this is the main reason why Line6 decided to implement it this way - you send one CC messages, say FS1, value doesn't matter, and if 4 FX are assigned to it, all of them will be toggled to the other state, doesn't matter what their current state is. In my opinion this is very clever.

That said I wouldn't mind the extra option of, say, 0=OFF, 127=ON and 1-126 TOGGLE but given the choice either ON/OFF or TOGGLE I'd take TOGGLE without thinking. Perhaps it depends on the exact MIDI footswitch you use but I'd guess Behringer FCB1010 is one of the most frequent ones (not counting Line6 footswitches).

Just my experience to make it clear it's not like everybody thinks the current functionality is broken/bad but rather very useful/clever...

That's an option too, I suppose. Have toggle an option, and intelligent state an option. For me, not having to program everything backwards would make it AMAZING, as it would for a lot of other people. For those who like the toggle, all the power to ya!