Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flextone II buzzing..?

Hi all,

I recently obtained a Flextone ii & footpedal from a good friend that suddenly passed away.  I knew it had a problem, but thought it might be an easy fix? It's fairly clean & hasn't  been of use for quite some time due to it's non-operative state.

Firing the amp up (i reset it), all I'm getting is a buzzing sound w/ a scratchy Master Vol pot. Other than that, there's nothing going on when messing around w/ all the knobs. Is this Amp worth delving into to find the problem?

Well the Flextone series are great amps but if the reset doesn't solve it a service trip looks likely.

The scratchy pot usually can be fixed with some DeOxit and knob turning. The other problem is the biggie - transformer? PCB? I can't remember if there is a fuse in there but there could be.

Worth? Hmmmm.... only you can decide that one. Usually its ~ $75 to have it opened up.

-B

Thx BillBee...

I'm on the fence about have it repaired. There's another Amp that was also given to me by the same party that's not working either, A Gallien-Krueger 250ML, but it's in poor shape. I can't swing getting them both repaired, so my thoughts were, that the Flextone would be the better choice due to it's variety of amp selections. I looked for fuses, but I didn't see any. I'll look closer. Maybe I missed it? You'd think there would be one. The amp lights up. That would indicate, I have power...?

• 1 month later...

Regarding the Flextone - I know it's an older amp, and parts might be hard to get for it (also it is a cost issue as well!) but don't give up on it!

Does yours have an FX Loop on the rear of the amp?  Headphone jack?  These jacks can sometimes oxidize, which will prevent the amp from sounding.  A quick way to try and remedy this would be to carefully work a guitar cable in-and-out of these jacks to try and restore the connection.  Nothing violent or rapid, but just a steady in and out perhaps about 20 times?  See if that makes a difference?

Other than that, I would have no personal issue with opening the amplifier up, removing and re-inserting all ribbon cables (or removable items) to make sure they are seated properly.  Please do this one at a time so that you don't get confused, and make sure the amp is unplugged!  If you are at all hesitant about working with electronics (be wary of capacitors even when the amp is not plugged in...) then have someone else look at it.

Try and check all connections, including speaker cables to speakers themselves.  You might simply need to give all connections a re-seating or cleaning.

I hope you have good luck with the amplifier!