Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Chandler tube driver into power amp of spider valve

Hollatchaboy72

There's a blast from the past - I still have one of those in a box somewhere - real nice sounding.

I've never ran the pedal version into anything other than an old Fender Champ but I have used the rack mounted one into various power amps which sounded pretty good.

This may sound nuts but IIRC a TS clone in front of the Tube Driver (little to no drive at first) seemed to really beef it up. The grain of salt warning is the IIRC part, I may have been stacking the TS in front of a different OD pedal (it has been years......). 

FWIW I don't see anything why it couldn't be done to see what it sounds like on the Spider's power amp. I would turn the volume on the pedal way down first though - it may get loud :)

Maybe a SV owner who tried this will pop by with thier power amp experience/recommendation.

Let us know how it goes.

-B

Well you can certainly give it a shot - it will depend on how the SV likes drive pedals in front.

There is no reason the X3L can't be used as a mod/delay pedal board in the loop with the TD coming in the front of the amp.

Don't trip on those cables! :P

-B

• 4 weeks later...

Ok thanks,I will! Btw, do u think I should try running it thru the front instead? I have my x3 live running thru the effects loop right now, and I don't want to change that setup, but I want more of a real tube preamp overdrive ton

No, using the front input is not the correct gain stage and won't sound right as I found out  --- see post http://line6.com/support/topic/1995-sv-pre-by-strymon/?do=findComment&comment=15577O