Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX Loop Stereo Question

wllm

Hello everyone,

I'm currently running my valve amp in the FX Loop of my HD500X. So I've got this AMT B2 Preamp Pedal lying around which has a pretty nice sounding analog fender amp simulation that I would love to use. Now it occurred to me that if I ran an insert cable out of the POD's FX Loop into the preamp pedal and valve amp individually, and back again, I could have both amps panned hard left and right. Would it be possible somehow to then make patches that use only one or the other signal? That would give me a pseudo-channel switching option which would be super awesome!

I found a post by TheRealZap in this here old thread from April 2013 ( http://line6.com/support/topic/162-hd500-dual-amp-mode-with-fx-loop/ ) where he says “the fx loop is stereo, you have to use an insert cable to split it... but you CAN use it to route through 2 independent effects... provided you hard pan left and right...

you can't turn them on independently though... it's all or nothing.“

That sounds like what I'm trying to do is impossible, right? Has anything changed in the software since then that would make it possible or am I missing something?

It would be so frickin killer if I could use both signals individually!

Cheers everybody!

Edit: I tried it out and its working perfectly! I'm really really stoked about this, everybody who's got two amps hanging around should give this a try, best setup ever imo :D

Hey, thanks for your help! I did not realize that it has 2 stereo paths. I have so far been using the mixer to seperate the signals and then used a noise gate to make it mono again.

I'm not quite sure if this approach is the one you are proposing, but it's working well enough.

Next I'm going to try to use an insert cable to run from the POD's FX Send to the preamps. Like this I can see if panning before the fx loop results in getting differently strong signals in the resprective preamps. This would allow me to have a boosted-into-crunch clean channel and a lead channel with a lowered input signal, giving me more of a crunch sound, too :D

So many options!

Well I'm definitely having fun. Cheers!