Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ideascale Frequency Keying on Noise Gate

Greetings M20d users. I am a little late to the party and have just started using the M20D for tracking a band that I play with. This is not a live performance situation and our usage of the M20D is completely workflow related. We are able to get great dry tracks and monitor without having deal with a DAW and conventional interface and awkward workflow that goes with that as we tend to track live together. Thus far we are very happy with what we are getting and the improvement to our workflow the M20d has provided. It fits our situation perfectly. Very nice to be able to be able to give out MainMix tracks to everyone at the end of the session and have the dry tracks that seed a song project. Really blows me away at how well this is working for us.

However, one small gripe that I have thus far is the lack of frequency keying on the Noise Gate. This kinda limits the usage to more of an expansion gate with a acoustic kit (9 channels). While the Dynamic EQ is pretty clever for getting the garbage out and tightening things up, I would much prefer side chain HPF, LPF filters to tighten up a drum mix. While my concern is recording, as a former touring FOH and monitor engineer I know that filter keying on noise gates pays dividends by being able to lower the threshold to catch the playing dynamics while still keeping things nice and tight. 

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/M20d-LPF-and-HPF-side-chain-filters-for-Noise-Gate/741197-23508?submitted=1