Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax/pod Combo

Do you know if Line6 has a product (or could make one) that could turn any guitar into a quasi-Variax.  I own a pod studio GX and a Variax JTV-59 (among other guitars).  What I would love is a version of pod studio which could give my telecaster the features of a variax (guitar modeling/alt tunings).  Is such a thing possible?  The pod already models amps... why can't it also model the guitars?

At one point in time based on the original Variax they had a rack system called the RackVax ( you can google it).  Its the closest to what you are talking about that I have seen.  The problem is the piezo pickup system that picks up each individual string so that it can be digitally processed separately is needed.  I think the Rackvax uses a Midi pickup or something not sure never seen one first hand...

RackVax-Electric_front_and_back.jpg

At one point in time based on the original Variax they had a rack system called the RackVax ( you can google it).  Its the closest to what you are talking about that I have seen.  The problem is the piezo pickup system that picks up each individual string so that it can be digitally processed separately is needed.  I think the Rackvax uses a Midi pickup or something not sure never seen one first hand...

RackVax was the guts of a Variax in a Rack Unit that accepted a 13 pin guitar output (GK-2-A, GK-3, RMC, Ghost) with full midi control of the sound.

The down side was that Line 6 (who didn't make the product) don't supply Variax guts, so the only way to get that bit was to buy a variax and throw the guitar away (or fit magnetic pickups to it).

The website is no longer available, so I suspect that the project is now dead.

To make a reasonable sounding virtual guitar you have to treat each string separately - Line 6 do it by building a guitar into which the transformations take place - Roland do it by having a 13 pin connection that takes a pickup on each string and does the processing in a separate unit.  You can fit the Roland system onto any existing guitar at the cost of running two cables: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/849/features/

The other option is that you take the computing guts from a variax plus a suitable pickup (ghost?) and stick it into a tele body - like this http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/88032-i-transplanted-my-variax-electronics-into-telecaster.html