Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What is the designed expansion capabilities of Helix?

JTruelove

First let me say that I am very impressed with the new HX concept of modeling.

The Helix potentially adds a subtle level of play-ability not present in previous models of line 6 pedal boards.

In looking over the amplifier,cabinet,effects and microphones one key question has come to mind.

How much ability through model packs or firmware has been planned to expand the stored base of models a user can store and select for patches.

If you look at the 78 guitar amps of Pod Farm Platinum (before models packs are added) or the 50 HD Models available to Firehawk and HD500X, the Helix has only 45 HX models (amps to select period). It has been pointed out, in other posts, that the list of the models included, although classic in nature, fails to round out the models that customers have been asking for.

So as new amps, hopefully become available:

A) does the Helix loose user patch space to store new models?

B) Is there a limit to how many new models of amps, cabinets, effects or mics that can be added or stored without loosing the initial set of models?

C) Does this open up a new Line 6 product line of Effect packed processor boxes, to plug onto the effects loops of the Helix, to hold new HD effects groups for future expansion?

Again, I want to state that I am a huge fan of what Line 6 has produced for musicians. It is just worth pointing out, that although The Minotaur effect in the Helix has been long on my list of requested additions, out of the 70 effects listed in the Helix release 32 are Line 6 originals and not third party requested models. ( Not to say that the Line 6 effects are anything but awesome )(Pod Farm Platinum had 97 effects before the model pack additions 57 were L6 products. So Helix actually has a better third party ratio)

Helix adds a new selection of mics the mix. This list is very impressive. 16 great mics to choose from.

The cabinet section is open now which is fantastic. Love the implementation of custom impulse responses.

All this is before bringing up the missing selection of Bass support found in other products like Pod farm. I have seen many posts that clearly articulate the desire for better bass amp, cab and effect selection. The bass has never been as prominently addressed as the guitar in the POD, Effect Pedal product lines but there has been a long history of forum requests.

Would like to jump in on the Helix band wagon but would like to have some of the questions of how helix will develop better defined before I rebuild my rig again.

All this is before bringing up the missing selection of Bass support found in other products like Pod farm. I have seen many posts that clearly articulate the desire for better bass amp, cab and effect selection. The bass has never been as prominently addressed as the guitar in the POD, Effect Pedal product lines but there has been a long history of forum requests.

I would have to disagree with you. There were two, bass specific pods (Bass Pod and Bass Pod XT) awhile ago. Apparently there wasn't enough interest. When they came out with the X3 series, which was the next gen after the XT series, they combined things, The X3 was just a supersized XT which included dual paths and all the model packs. All for the same price as the previous Pod XT incarnation. It still used the same modelling as the XT series and they put all the bass amps, FX, etc. the Bass Pod XT had on it, into it as well, instead of creating a separate bass X3 unit. So you were essentially getting the capabilities of two XT's (both bass and guitar) in one unit.

They have continued the policy of putting both the bass and guitar amps in one unit instead of two separate units. But I would agree there seems to be alot more enthusiasm towards the guitar side of things ever since then.