Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Batery replace procedure help please

Flextonex

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a 10 yr old Vetta 2 x 12 combo.  Been after one for ages.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to replace the battery?  I know where it is and what it looks like, even the exact battery to use.  No one though seems to know anything about how to change it.  Is it as simple as pop old one out and insert new one?

Any help of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a 10 yr old Vetta 2 x 12 combo.  Been after one for ages.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to replace the battery?  I know where it is and what it looks like, even the exact battery to use.  No one though seems to know anything about how to change it.  Is it as simple as pop old one out and insert new one?

Any help of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You have to desolder the holder that retains the battery then solder it back in with the new battery in place.

An option would be to replace the battery setup with something a bit easier to change. Say an AA battery holder holding two AA batteries and wired to the hold battery socket with wires.

Whatever you do be sure that the batteries are mechanically secure as any interruption, say while move the amp would trash your saved patches that are saved the memory that the battery powers. Maybe taping the batteries into the holder would be a good move.

Whatever you do be sure that the voltage, 3V, and polarity are observed if you do any sort of modification. Be sure to use good quality long life batteries and don't skimp. That is unless you like loosing all of your patches.

AA cells should last a lot longer if they are of good quality that won't leak and die on you. Even AAA cells should last longer than the coin cell.    

I had mine apart a few days back

Also saw the battery holder which looked like a clip unit holding the battery,question is,does the main digital board need lifting out,de solder from underside of that pcb  and its out?

You should be able to do it from the top side. Just heat the tabs of the holder one at a time and lift them out.

After the old battery is out you can use a solder sucker or braid to remove excess solder from the holes. Just be careful and don't overheat the PC board or you're likely to delaminate the copper foil.

Use a lower wattage iron and be sure to use electronic grade rosin core solder, not acid core that is intended for plumbing.

You can use a little rubbing alcohol to clean up excess flux when you're done.