Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to use tones from Pod HD on Flextone II XL

WeedMonkey

I have a Flextone II XL circa 2001. Seems not to be supported anymore (understandable, given it's 14 years old!)

I want some settings for particular artists/songs. I'm not interested in creating them on my computer and transferring via midi or whatever. Just need the settings for the various knobs, and I'll dial them in and store them manually.

The Lne 6 software that used to support the Flextone is a pain. It won't let you even start the program unless I'm connected via midi to my amp. That's not practical—computer's upstairs, amp is downstairs. Plus midi seems unneccessarily complicated for what I want to do. So the Line 6 tones (.l6t files) won't work (plus, they're 14 years out of date).

So here's the question. I can download the Pod HD software and use it to open .h5e files, which have settings for Drive, Bass, etc., just like the Flextone. The settings on the Pod HD go from 1–100, whereas the knobs on the Flextone go from 1–10. Is it really as simple as just dividing the Pod HD numbers by 10 (e.g., 75 on the Pod HD corresponds to 7.5 on the Flextone II)?

Before someone points out the obvious (â€why don't you try it and see?"), I HAVE tried it :) and am not happy with the results. But I don't know if it's because there's not an exact relation between Pod and Flextone settings, or if I'm dialing them in wrong on the Flextone amp.

Any help would be appreciated.

No, there is no compatibility between these devices, they are completely different internal architecture (both software and hardware). The only way to match tones is manually, and even then they'll be different. The HD models sound better in my opinion but are probably a little harder to dial in the tone than the Flextones.

Well, that's disappointing. So is there any way to read the Flextone II tones (.l6t files) without hooking up my amp to the computer? When the Pod HD app can't find an amp connected, it will operate offline, so I can at least see the settings. Any way to do that with the Line 6 app? Thanks.

The Lne 6 software that used to support the Flextone is a pain. It won't let you even start the program unless I'm connected via midi to my amp. That's not practical—computer's upstairs, amp is downstairs. Plus midi seems unnecessarily complicated for what I want to do. So the Line 6 tones (.l6t files) won't work (plus, they're 14 years out of date).

So here's the question. I can download the Pod HD software and use it to open .h5e files, which have settings for Drive, Bass, etc., just like the Flextone. The settings on the Pod HD go from 1–100, whereas the knobs on the Flextone go from 1–10. Is it really as simple as just dividing the Pod HD numbers by 10 (e.g., 75 on the Pod HD corresponds to 7.5 on the Flextone II)?

yeah, useless trying to dial in HD tones for a Flextone.  Try loading the Gearbox software but do not install the drivers.  Gearbox runs on my Win7 laptop with no gear installed and reads .l6t files.  However, any tones built using addon packs won't open unless you also have that pack installed.  Instead it loads a similar default amp/effect that you can try out.

UPDATE - Line 6 Edit works too.  When you start it asks you to connect and select your device.  I have no devices to select so I click ADD and pick Flextone II and OFFLINE mode.  It adds the Flextone to the list and pops up the connection screen again.  Cancel that and Edit is up and running.  Find your tones and do what you gotta do...