Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

UX1 with Active Monitors or Separate Amp and Speakers?

First post. Sorry if this is in the wrong place! I have a UX1 and would love to use it with either some monitors or speakers for a pretty basic "home studio". Ha ha. So what would you guys get, and why:

1) Active Monitors like the Mackie CR3 

2) Small home amp like a Pyle-PCAU46 and old Sony speakers that came with a HiFi system

Option 2 is cheaper, and would I get better sound and bass response since the drivers and cabinets are bigger? I'd have to connect an RCA cable from the phones out to the back of the amp. Not sure if that degrades sound quality compared to a TRS cable I'd be using on the Mackies.

Would love to hear your thoughts!!

Most small active monitors don't do well with guitar tones unless you keep the volume very minimal.  Even 5" aren't great - I've got some very nice JBL LSR305s that work great for listening to music and for mixing, but if I plug a guitar into my interface and then turn up the volume too far, the sound is not very good.

• 2 weeks later...