Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting POD HD to Roland 80XL

garbanzo

I have the above equipment so I was wondering what the best way is to connect them to get the optimal effect out of the POD HD? I have several options as I understand:

1. Guitar to POD to input on Roland

2. Guitar to POD to audio in, which bypasses the Roland preamp

3. Then there are several foot switch input, these however I understand to turn on/off the effects built into the Roland and not real inputs as such.

So my question first is, 1. can I use the audio input without damaging equipment?

2. should I expect any difference in sound out put from the Roland? Would the sound be less Roland colored
               and more POD colored?

You're kind of dealing with a mismatched pair here.  You're right in that in this case the audio in would be about the only way to bypass the modeling on the Roland.  As the user manual states you need to carefully manage your output level from the POD when you do this.  I suspect the easiest way might be to use the headphone out on the POD to the aux/in jack on the Roland using an appropriate patch cable.  If you carefully manage the master volume output you should cause any problems.

In this configuration you shouldn't be using anything on the Roland other than it's pure amp output the same as you would plugging in an MP3 player, so you'll only get the modeling and effects being produced by the POD. 

After posting the question, and before your reply, I took the jump. I used the line out on the POD and adapted a cable from 1/4" to the what ever size is necessary for the audio/aux in on the Roland, and it worked. I m not sure I can say weather or not there is a difference in sound quality as opposed to using the line in, but it works. Nothing blown, which was a relief.

Thanks for your reply!