Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My 75 keeps starting up in "failed update" mode

d1stewart

In short, if I leave the amp off for more than a few minutes, it starts up with all four Tone LEDs flashing, as if a firmware update has failed, even though it hasn't. Only way to get it back to operating condition is to restart in factory reset mode. Then I have none of my patches in it. And it's useless to save any, because it will just . . . repeat the cycle.

Any ideas as to why and how to fix?

Longer:

Turned it on Monday, it started up with all four Tone LEDs flashing. Okay, that's failed update mode. What update? I didn't try to install an update.

So I did the latest update (which was already in there, by the way). It failed. I went one update back. It succeeded. Go through the setup process again, turn it on fresh---

Starts up with all four Tone LEDs flashing again. 

So I tried the latest update (again). The Updater said it succeeded. (By the way, it seems to take longer when installed by USB than Bluetooth.)

Factory reset... okay, it's working. Reinstall my patches to the amp hardware... Turn it off for the night. Next morning, turn it on...

Starts up with all four Tone LEDs flashing again. Do the factory reset (power on with Tone and volume knob depressed), and it's fine, except, of course, I'm back to factory settings and all my patches are gone.

Put my patches back, last night. Turn it off. Turn it on, it's fine. Turn it off. Turn it on, it's fine. Go to bed.

This morning, I turn it on fresh---

Starts up with all four Tone LEDs flashing again.

Factory reset lets it operate, but then I'm back to factory patches, not mine.

Okay, so... this is going to keep happening?

Line 6? Any ideas why my amp keeps telling me it has failed to update the firmware if I turn it on after leaving it off for more than a few minutes? It's kind of useless to me like this.

This also happened to my one, except Factory reset DOES NOT let it operate.

I assume the Flash RAM is Futzed and of course out of warranty. So now I have a useless brick as you cant even use it without the modelling because the volume does not work.

Anyone else with the same problem?

• Upvote 1

I solved the problem, kind of. Maybe this is a bug.

The originally posted problem happens--it starts up in "failed update" mode--if and only if I have a tone preset with "No amp" as the model in tone slot 1A. Any amp model other than "No amp," and it starts up normally and plays normal.

I don't know why it should be that I can't have a preset with no amp at 1A, but that appears to be the case. It only took me about a day to test presets to figure out the variable that was causing the problem...

• 1 month later...

This also happened to my one, except Factory reset DOES NOT let it operate.

I assume the Flash RAM is Futzed and of course out of warranty. So now I have a useless brick as you cant even use it without the modelling because the volume does not work.

Anyone else with the same problem?

I have that exact same problem. I wanted to play music via bluetooth from my ipad. The sound went very dirty and then the ipad got disconnected. Since then 4 led flashing, can't operate it, did several updates successfully from iphone, ipad and mac... that didn't fix it. Very frustrating!

Any thought?