Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IK T-Racks Mic Room to "Re-Mic" Your IR's (and tracks)

roscoe5

This info evolved in a couple of other threads, but thought I would summarize it and post separately. Maybe some will find it fun and useful, maybe not and it will die on the vine. But this has really expanded the sonic flexibility and resurrected some IR's I previously didn't use or care for.

I've recently been experimenting with IK T-Racks Mic Room to add some more mic sounds to my own personal rig IR's of my Recto 212 and SM57. I was happy with the results. I got some really nice "faux" ribbon 121 & 160 IR's, D421, D441, & D20 type sounds, and a cool Telephone mic sound.

I also tried re-mic'ing Studiocat Friedman 2x12 and 3sigma Recto 212 IR's. Neither of those had ribbon mics either. I got pleasing results from those as well.

There are SO many combinations and possibilities with Mic Room source and target mics. You don't HAVE to have the exact source mic. Good sounds can actually be had using source mics that are not the same as your capture mic. Luckily we have Helix's routing and looping features. You can audition your Helix amps with the original IR through the TR Mic Room plug-in and potential target mics before you rip the new IR.

The process is similar to re-amping, except your "dry" input signal is a 20Hz-20kHz sine sweep signal. Put the IR in a Convolution reverb or cab IR plug-in>T-Racks Mic Room and capture. Deconvolve the new capture with sine sweep signal. There is lots of info on the web for each of the steps. I think this will make sense to most people with DAW and plug-in experience.

You can also do some EQ matching IR mods with the right EQ plug-in, existing guitar tracks and a close Helix patch/IR. Recreating the IR with the EQ-match in the chain. I believe Fractal, Kemper and BIAS Amp use a similar method for their tone-matching after the original amp/cab IR is captured or patch is configured closely to the target amp. I think maybe Glenn Delaune does something similar with his "imprinting" and isolated instrument song tracks. Again, you would need a little DAW experience for this one too.

Are the re-mic'd IR's true to the original mics? Probably not. Are they good usable representations of those mics to expand your set of IR's and tones from a limited few? Indeed!!!

IK T-Racks Mic Room is pretty inexpensive at $69. Plus they have a 14 day free trial.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trmicroom/

Recto%2B212%2BSM57%2BT-Racks%2BMic%2BRoo

This info was intended for personal use, not commercial. Don't go ripping of commercial IR's and re-marketing as your own ;)

On the same note, 3rd party IR people shouldn't be marketing re-mic'd IR's as true physical mic'd IR's either.

Good tones are good tones though. Nothing wrong with a little DAW magic to get there. Just don't misrepresent it when sharing/selling.

Keep it honest and fun for all!!!

...mic drop...(pun intended)