Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Farm settings to clean up echo

sqitso

I'm very new to Pod Farm. I recently moved into a 100 year old home that is a historical marker. I am forbidden from doing any modifications to the house like sound proofing and such. The room I record in is all wood. I have done as much as I could to try and soften things up. Put in a throw rug. Long curtains. Even have some sound proofing on some stands. It helps a little but the room is still live as Hell. There is echo in everything I record. Not as bad as a preacher in a church, but it's still noticeable.

Can someone tell me a nice basic setting I can use in Pod Farm to get me started in the right direction? I usually use a compressor, and clipper for my podcasts.. but I can't seem to get the echo reduced. Don't even know if it is possible.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Do a search on youtube for DIY bass traps.   You can make them 4" thick x 2'x4', with rockwool insulation, covered in any 'breathable' cloth (I've used burlap and thin cotton sheeting.  You can make 'feet' for them so they stand by themselves, or hang from the walls on hooks, so easy to store away when not in use.

You'll never be able to successfully remove the room reverb in PodFarm (or using any DAW plug-ins), have to stop them from being recorded.

What microphone are you using?  Using a dynamic mic might help if you are using a condenser mic now.

You could also look at a 'reflection filter' (the sE brand is recommended by others) like this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reflexion but you should still have some kind of absorbing material behind you.   For the cost of one of these reflection filters you can build 4-8 bass traps!

In the "band room" we've used a roll of carpet padding and unraveled it betwixt two PA poles (not the best but it was cheap and helped). Walls and floors are the easy parts to try and knock down "the bounce". Heated garage? or is that a regulated "historic" too.

TBH the drum shield help my hearing the best. We set a huge furniture blanket up behind to help knock that down.