Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do i have to use the 4 cable method for this scenario?

mitch103

Hopefully this hasn't been answered before. I didn't seem to find this exact question in any search results.

I'd like to use the helix (for this particular scenario) as you would use any normal delay or modulation pedal in if you didn't have a helix. In other words, I want to plug my guitar directly into my tube amp and use only some delay and phaser from the helix in my tube amps effects loop. I imagine something of a '3 cable method like this:

[Guitar > Tube amp in]

[Tube amp effects send > Helix fx return]

[Tube amp effects return > Helix fx send]

Then I go into an empty helix block and put: fx send > delay/phaser > fx return.

No amp or cab models.

Will this work?

My amp is at the studio so I can't test it till I go back in in a week.

Yes. It will work. You are putting Helix into your amp's fx loop.  You can get the same set up by going into the guitar in on helix and out of the 1/4" out.  You wouldn't have to set up the send return blocks that way, but wither way will work.

The 4 cable method is useful when you want a unit like Helix to have the option to place effects both in front of the amp, and in the FX loop.

Yes, as Vmoncebais said - use the guitar input - you might need the pad on the guitar input depending on the level of your effects send - if it works fine with general floor type pedals,  then it's probably OK - You could use the AUX in if your effects send is designed for rack units - and you have full control over the level out if you go out through the 1/4 inch outputs (you probably will be keeping everything mono - so just use left out).

Again, you will probably need to set the 1/4 inch output to instrument rather than line.  The volume knob on the Helix should work like a master volume. You might find there is an optimum level for you specific amp.

If you do this, I suggest you experiment with an EQ block in there - might let you tune your amp more than you would expect.

I hope this is not the only thing you bought the Helix for!  Plenty of good pedal only units out there for a lot less money!