Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tips for transparent overdrive?

chris_n

So, I love some of the amp models and sounds I can get through my firehawk, but I find it really hard to get a good overdrive sound. Most of the overdrive/dynamics pedals colour the sound quite a bit.

Does anyone have some good settings to suggest to have a foot switch that can add drive, without changing the overall tone too much? I would just like to add some 'grit' without adding a mid hump or a fuzz.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the tubescreamer does quite a lot the eq of the guitar. The thing that makes a tubescreamer sound like a tubescreamer is the big mid push and the bass cut. Which is great if that's what you want! But I'm after a way of adding a slight overdrive so a fairly clean sound in a way that doesn't change the eq too much.

The closest I have found is the color drive with the bass, and treble all around 35% and the mid at 25%. The second best I've found is the non-hd version of the 'classic drive' with the tone on 20%, but both of these still  change the eq quite noticeably. 

Using a clean boost to push the drive of the amp also works, but also changes the volume, unless there is a lot of compression afterwards. 

What I'm after is something like the Timmy, or the EM drive - but without having to use up the fx loop. 

• Upvote 1

I see what you mean about the Screamer HD. Have you tried making two presets with different drive settings on the same amp model? You could toggle back and forth between patches. Or maybe two different amp models within the same family? I use the Plexi 100 and JCM 800 models that way.

• Upvote 1