Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 60 Watt - Darkened Backlit Display/No Sound

Guest Jacob Penta

Guest Jacob Penta

Hi there.

I was recently gifted the new Spider V for christmas, the 60 watt version. Recently having moved back into my dorm (at college, where I play as a hobbyist) I've been having some troubles getting the amp to work properly.

Most of the times when I turn the amp on to begin to practice, instead of the backlight illuminating fully as you would expect, it is quite dark, and I cannot get sound to come from the guitar. Everything else works properly by the amp, such as the inbuilt drum tracks. Those work well and make sounds, like the metronome, but the guitar itself is not coming through the amp. I have though been able to get the amp to work after several times unplugging the amp and my footboard, and plugging them back in, but it never stays proper. Could it be a pwoer issue? Am I missing something easy here?

More info:
I use the FBV 3 with the amp as well

I use the relay g10 plug in my guitar as opposed to a normal cord, could that be causing problems?

Disconnect the FBV and see if the amp returns to normal. If it does, then the FBV or cable could be the problem and loading down something in the amp. If not, Send the amp back and get a replacement from the store. None of that is normal imo. G10T won't cause that problem.

These units have warranties, and some will have problems. Warranties over a year or so time should weed out most of the faulty units. More amps like these will have faults early on. If you have not tried a firmware update, you can see if that works or not. I have not heard of any problems like you describe though being corrected with firmware. The problem you describe is more internal imo.

Have you tried headphones, see if sound comes out of those. I am slightly concerned about my 60. After using the headphone socket I unplugged and next time I went to play no sound. Put a plug in and out of the socket a couple of times and it started working again. Don't really want to send it back, but if it happens again I might have to.

Lastly, you could try a factory reset before sending it back.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Did the darkened backlight issue ever get resolved?
I have the same problem and I've had no luck finding an answer anywhere online.

My amp is a Spider V 60. The amp works fine but the display is not illuminating when I switch it on so it's really hard to read.
If I connect my laptop via the usb I can get it to light using Spider V remote but surely there must be a way to have it light up when I turn the amp on?

Thanks in anticipation

UPDATE:

After fiddling about randomly I think I've finally fixed the issue!
All I did was switch the USB selection switch to iPhone/Android and it is now illuminating as it should!
Pity I didn't try this before I posted but I guess it might help someone else down the line.

Thanks folks :-)

Edited by Sidewinder9595
UPDATE:

• 7 months later...

I have an issue with my line 6 spider 5 120. It was working fine yesterday. Today I work up and it turned on. But I couldnt use the spider app on my phone. What I could do is select my presets through my pedalboard. I could have sworn at some point I smelt something burning. When I tried to turn it off then back on again it didnt work. Its stayed that way ever since. Here are all the issues ... 

. The amp port for Iphone does not work: I know this because the lighting cable works when I use it on another device. 

. No sound out of amp: The only sound that comes out is the drum loops

. No sound out of headphone jack: Only slight hissing sound out of headphones when at max volume

. Amp display screen, buttons, nobs and lights not working at all

. There's no signal going through the input: I know this because when I plug in my 1/4 cable no buzzing is made when touched.

Things Ive tried...

. Plugging the power in and out: Ive done this multiple times with the part of the cable that goes into the amp and the part that goes into the amp

. Ive tried using random buttons or nob: The only thing that works the the drum loop

. Ive tried installing the latest firmware: I downloaded the latest post on the line 6 website. I'm not sure if it downloads the info from evert previous  drivers

.  Ive tried unplugging and replugging: Ive done this to both USB ports on the back

. Ive tried banging on it to see if did anything( It did not)

Things that do work...

. Has power going in. Pedalboard is being powered

. Pedalboard can access presets on amp

. USB port still works: I was able to install drivers

. The drum loop: Only the first one works

I need this for the biggest gift of my life. Its in 2 days. Could you guys please help me with this?

Update: Sorry learned new things

I have an issue with my line 6 spider 5 120. It was working fine yesterday. Today I woke up and it turned on. But I couldn't use the spider app on my phone. What I could do is select my presets through my pedalboard. I could have sworn at some point I smelt something burning. When I tried to turn it off then back on again it didn't work. It's stayed that way ever since. Here are all the issues ... 

. The amp port for the Iphone does not work: I know this because the lighting cable works when I use it on another device. 

. No sound out of amp: The only sound that comes out is the drum loops,through signal coming through midi cable or aux in. No signal through the input jack.

. No sound out of headphone jack: Only slight hissing sound out of headphones when at max volume

. Amp back display lights do not work: When I use my flashlight can see that its still displaying images

.General lights do not work at all

. There's no signal going through the input: I know this because when I plug in my 1/4 cable no buzzing is made when touched.

Things I've tried...

. Plugging the power in and out: I've done this multiple times with the part of the cable that goes into the amp and the part that goes into the amp

. I've tried using random buttons or nob: The only thing that works the the drum loop

. I've tried installing the latest firmware: I downloaded the latest post on the line 6 website. I'm not sure if it downloads the info from every previous driver

.  I've tried unplugging and replugging: I've done this to both USB ports on the back

. I've tried banging on it to see if did anything( It did not)

. I've tried factory reset: It did nothing

. I tried reupdating It: I tried downloading the drivers onto the amp. Every time it's completed I get a quick message saying it failed.

Things that do work...

. Has power going in. Pedalboard is being powered

. Pedalboard can access presets on amp

. USB port still works: I was able to install drivers

. The drum loops

. The display without light

. All buttons and knobs .  Buttons, and knobs kind of work(?): Since there is no sound coming out( Except for one drum loop) they don't affect what comes out. When Using spider remote on pc I can confirm that most of the buttons and knobs work. I am able to adjust the presets on my amp with the on board controls.

I cant find any help online. I'm on a tight schedule. I want to emphasize that I cant download drivers. Even with the little help i've found. You cant get it into update mode by just by holding onto the "AMP" and "FX" Buttons. I need this for the biggest gift of my life. Its in 2 days. Could you guys please help me with this?