Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk FX Versus Helix and Others (AX8 etc)

pfocas

Hi All

I'm conscious that these sorts of questions start to get all religious, but I wanted to look at the difference between the tones (nothing else) between the Firehawk FX and Helix. I live in New Zealand and here the Firehawk can be purchased for 700 dollars and the Helix is 2,900 from the same authorised retailer. At that price differential I am thinking the unit must have a mind-blowing difference in tone (and also the routing capabilities etc). Is that true? I have seen side by side reviews of Helix and Fractal AX8/Kemper etc but nothing between Helix and its baby brother Firehawk FX. The amp models are supposed to be "HD" and that is shared with Pod HD500X I believe but are the amp and stomp models on Helix way better? In order to do a true comparison at the retailer I'd have to go through FRFR speakers to remove that from the equation so I might go through that pain barrier if people think it is worth the extra 2,200 dollars! I cant look at Fractal because they don't have any competent reseller with stock in this side of the world, their Australian reseller is permanently out of stock but that looks like a cool unit. anyway - Helix versus Firehawk tone thoughts? Thanks in advance

Tone only? No comparison - Helix by a million miles. In this case you get what you pay for. I own both. Firehawk has good tones, and is great for tone matching well known songs and jamming along, especially if you like editing on a mobile device.

But for mind blowing tones? No comparison (imho).