Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ownhammer Helix tutorial

zooey

Anyone who's using Ownhammer IRs with Helix, I'd suggest reading the Ownhammer tutorial about that.

My short takeaway for the subtly best results:

• If you're comfortable not mixing Ownhammer IRs with other brands, use the files in the Fractal folder rather than Helix

His advice on keeping all parallel IRs on the same processor path seems more dubious. If that were an issue, seems like it would affect all patches, not just ones with IRs, Ownhammer or not.

Anyone who's using Ownhammer IRs with Helix, I'd suggest reading the Ownhammer tutorial about that.

My short takeaway for the subtly best results:

• If you're comfortable not mixing Ownhammer IRs with other brands, use the files in the Fractal folder rather than Helix

His advice on keeping all parallel IRs on the same processor path seems more dubious. If that were an issue, seems like it would affect all patches, not just ones with IRs, Ownhammer or not.

Yeah I would agree it's probably not something that could be backed up by any objective measurement,  But even so, I'm not sure there's a real advantage to mixing IRs in series anyway, which you would have to do in order to have them split across DSP processors.  To me mixing IRs would be running them in parallel on the same path and mixing them via a split.

You can run them in parallel across DSPs by splitting path 1, putting an IR on 1A downstream of the split, running 1A to output, 1B down to 2A, then another IR on 2A and/or 2B. I've done that to get three cabs in parallel. Never encountered any phasing issues, but that was with the Helix cab IRs, not third party. For whatever that's worth. Interesting about the Fractal IRs not being phase compensated the same way, I wonder why it's not a concern for that format? Or at least why Ownhammer doesn't address it in the Fractal files? I'll have to do some comparisons...