Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix audio interface for iPad

rfiveash

Hi All,

I'm just playing around trying to use the Helix as an audio interface for an iPad, using AmpKit, Flying Haggis & Mobile POD work perfectly however any Positive Grid software (Bias FX, Amp, JamUp) on occasions Amplitube (appears it could be when using the Orange amp pack) I get severe clipping even at low levels and constant clicks and pops. I don't get it when using an iRig or an Apogee One.

It appears it's happening on the USB in & out, if I use the Helix as the input and listen via the headphone jack on the iPad it's happening, if I use the iRig as the input and the Helix as the USB output (both connected via a USB hub) through the headphones on the iPad it sounds fine but through the Helix I get clipping, clicks & pops.

I've tried all settings, the only thing that makes a small difference is setting to Low Latency from Ultra Low but not greatly and Ultra Low works fine with the iRig and Apogee One and the other apps.

Any ideas?

How are you connected? Helix -> Apple camera connection kit -> lightning?

And the iRig and Apogee is just direct to lightning? 

There's a difference right away - you've got conversion to USB audio, followed by CCK vs just one digital interface (eg Apogee)

Also, what iPad? a recent one or an older one?

finally : why on earth use iPad guitar tones when Helix sounds are far superior (I also have those ipad apps) 

Mac desktops and laptops support aggregate devices, which is supposed to allow for multiple interfaces simultaneously. It doesn't work very well, regardless of what interfaces you use.

iPads don't have any sort of aggregate device support, so you should only use one interface; that is, record via Helix's Guitar In and monitor via Helix's outputs. Don't connect anything to the iPad's headphone jack and don't use any sort of USB splitter or hub—go straight into the camera kit. If pops and clicks keep happening, try a different USB cable. If they still keep happening, open a ticket with Line 6 CS and we'll get to the bottom of it.

How are you connected? Helix -> Apple camera connection kit -> lightning?

And the iRig and Apogee is just direct to lightning? 

There's a difference right away - you've got conversion to USB audio, followed by CCK vs just one digital interface (eg Apogee)

Also, what iPad? a recent one or an older one?

finally : why on earth use iPad guitar tones when Helix sounds are far superior (I also have those ipad apps) 

I'm connected as you describe.

I understand the extra conversion steps but this is the same when using the other software packages that don't have the issue. 

I've done it with a 2016 iPad Pro and 2015 iPad Air 2

As I said just playing around.

Mac desktops and laptops support aggregate devices, which is supposed to allow for multiple interfaces simultaneously. It doesn't work very well, regardless of what interfaces you use.

iPads don't have any sort of aggregate device support, so you should only use one interface; that is, record via Helix's Guitar In and monitor via Helix's outputs. Don't connect anything to the iPad's headphone jack and don't use any sort of USB splitter or hub—go straight into the camera kit. If pops and clicks keep happening, try a different USB cable. If they still keep happening, open a ticket with Line 6 CS and we'll get to the bottom of it.

I was only using multiple interfaces to see if I could isolate whether it was the in or the out, I have tried a different cable but as I said it works fine with the other apps (AmpKit, Flying Haggis, Mobile POD and mostly Amplitube) so it wouldn't be a hardware issue as it would affect all the apps.

Could be a CPU issue of the iPad. Flying Higgis for instance feels like a low footprint app to me, while Bias FX feels like a high CPU user to me, so....perhaps do the usual CPU issue stuff when using Postive Grid apps: close any not used app, turn off wifi and bluetooth, use perhaps a cleanup app to cleanup unused background RAM processes, or do other things you know of to reduce CPU usage in the iPad.

Another idea: could it be a sample rate mismatch? Not my expertise, it is only an idea (which I didn't explore but it might be of help).