cdiddy5000

Global EQ Not Working

So I was doing a gig recently where I was running XLR out to a powered speaker. I wanted to tweak some highs and started out with the global eq so I could tweak for this gig without changing the overall preset. Even with the gain dimed and sweeping thru the frequencies, I could not detect any slight changes in tonal character. The global eq was engaged and not bypassed. Toggling between states didn't make any difference. I kinda brushed this off, as I typically wouldn't use this type of functionality. Fast forward to a gig on Friday night where I was running acoustic thru one path and a vocal mix thru the 2nd... I noticed the tonality of the vocal was a bit dark and lifeless. I added an eq block and started messing with the upper frequencies and the same problem happened. No changes despite the state of the fx block or settings within. It would seem as though there may be something really stupid I am overlooking?? I am by no means a noob with gear and have been tooling around with the helix since the new year, so I feel like I am going crazy with this. Thoughts?

So I was doing a gig recently where I was running XLR out to a powered speaker. I wanted to tweak some highs and started out with the global eq so I could tweak for this gig without changing the overall preset. Even with the gain dimed and sweeping thru the frequencies, I could not detect any slight changes in tonal character. The global eq was engaged and not bypassed. Toggling between states didn't make any difference. I kinda brushed this off, as I typically wouldn't use this type of functionality. Fast forward to a gig on Friday night where I was running acoustic thru one path and a vocal mix thru the 2nd... I noticed the tonality of the vocal was a bit dark and lifeless. I added an eq block and started messing with the upper frequencies and the same problem happened. No changes despite the state of the fx block or settings within. It would seem as though there may be something really stupid I am overlooking?? I am by no means a noob with gear and have been tooling around with the helix since the new year, so I feel like I am going crazy with this. Thoughts?

You can set global EQ to effect 1/4" outs, XLR, or both. I suspect yours is set to 1/4" since you didn't hear it make any difference. I think it is on the 2nd or 3rd page of the Global EQ screen. 

Any chance the global EQ is bypassed?

I know that it was not bypassed. I will have to check which output it was being sent to. I guess I just assumed it went everywhere... I will have to report back with the results.