Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 4cm without fx loop for lower noise/ level drop etc...

mikeobrien123

Hello, 

found this old post.. https://line6.com/support/topic/5972-4cm-method-improved-less-latency-less-noise/ Didn't want to bump it being that it's several years old now..

Basically, they are suggesting using the 4cm without the fx loop and no fxblock in the chain by using the aux in instead of pod fx loop return...

I am wondering if anyone is doing this and what their thoughts are..

It makes sense to me that bypassing the pod fx loop might be the solution to lower noise/latency/db drops and various problems...

while the post gets confusing with whether path a/b should be pre or post effects, (i dont think that matters, i don't think one is processed first...your routing makes it first or second..) they are suggesting that one path be set to pre effects and goes to the amp preamp, then the other path set to post effects to the amp return...then for modeling, all pre/ pod amp model/post effects go on one path with the other path muted....this way you are not using the pod fx loop and save a block in your chain with no effects loop block...

makes sense to me and im about to try it..just wanted to know if anyone does this and their thoughts....

Thanks

serializing is pretty difficult to do. I have an old post on here about 4CM the HD Desktop. Basically, the same principal of serializing the Left Chain (PRE) and the Right (Chain POST) with your amp PRE in the middle. It's a really touchy setup...If the Master was a concentric pot where the L and R could be leveled differently, if would be a lot easier. Not really worth it IMO...just hit the power amp in and call it a day...

Thanks for the reply.

So you're saying reg 4cm is still best option for clean effects/modeling thru pod straight to power amp, and tube amp dirty in fx loop?

Im just experimenting today..just tried the above method and it worked fine...just would be a hassle redoing all patches.. i'll a/b reg 4cm and this to see if there's really a difference..

update...didn't make a difference to me..i like the visual routing of pre and post with serializing as it's called above...but no sonic difference to my old damaged ears.. not enough for me to redo all patches...oh, well... im still very happy with my rig...

POD HD 4CM to 6505+ with mxr10band and Horizon Precision drive and decimator prorack...then into 2-2x12's .. a Mesa and a Vader..  LOVE IT!!