Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New into FRFR (Mackie SRM150 with POD HD)

J_V_RO

So I've been a long time user (POD XT, POD X3, now HD500x). But truth is, I've always used AMPs and a SM57 for live purposes. I have never tried any FRFR system or something similar.

However, I'm about to give it a try. I cannot afford a big FRFR system, but I found a Mackie SRM150 on ebay, (less than $200), Of course,  I will use this only in my bedroom for rehearsal. After that, my plan is to leave my amps home all the time and go direct to a PA.

I don't know if this console should be called a true "FRFR" (like a Mackie SRM450?). 

I will appreciate any good/bad comments, 

BR

Well you mention 2 very different units, so I'm not sure what you bought...the SRM150 is a basically a very small monitor with a 5 1/2" speaker and small onboard 2 channel mixer. The SRM450 is a large powered PA enclosure with a 12" speaker...they're not gonna be comparable in terms of performance. The little one might turn out to be just fine for bedroom practice, but probably not much else. And you can't expect the same kind of bass response from something that size vs. a 12" speaker. You will likely find that you have some issues trying to use patches dialed in with something that small when you pump it through a full PA.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, yes the SRM150 is what I have in mind due to price. 

You will likely find that you have some issues trying to use patches dialed in with something that small when you pump it through a full PA.

...Well I guess that's a risk that I could handle. 

Thanks again,