Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Ableton Live - Overview of Routing

ramirezdan

I've been trying to piece together a live rig around the Helix, two Eventide H9s, and Ableton Live. I started with an RME Fireface400 on the pedalboard which worked, but it's a bit overkill and I was hoping I could get away with just using the Helix as my interface. 

It's not perfect, but I've found a pretty good way to utilize the Helix's flexibility. 

Helix Physical Connections:

Inputs:

Guitar - Guitar
Mic - Vocal Mic

Aux - Bass(volume a bit low, probably want a DI of some sort to match impedance)

Return 1 - H9 #1

Return 2 - H9 #2

Return 3 - DSI Tempest Drum Machine/Synth

Return 4 - DSI Tempest Drum Machine/Synth

Outputs:

1/4 1 - Mini Z amp #1

1/4 2 - Mini Z amp #2

XLR 1 - Stereo Mix to PA  - L

XLR 2 - Stereo Mix to PA - R

Send 1 - H9 #1

Send 2 - H9 #2

Send 3 - Shure Wireless Headphone Mono Input

Send 4 - Ampeg Micro CL

---

Inputs:

Path 1A - USB 3/4(Guitar) -> [H9] -> [H9] -> V [Preamp]-> 1/4 outputs
Path 1B - USB 3/4(Guitar) - >                                [Amp] -> USB 1/2
Path 2A - USB 5/6 - > [send 3/4] -> [Return 3/4] -> USB 5/6
Path 2B - AUX(Bass) -> USB 3/4
---

This allows me to use the two H9s on the guitar and bass paths as I see fit. It also allows me to use a preamp with the MiniZ tube combo amps while simultaneously having an ampsim available for FOH and the stereomix in general. It's also convenient if I want to play without turning the amps on.

I use Live for looping instruments and this setup allows me to loop the guitar, bass, mic, and Tempest at my leisure. I can also route any of those instruments to the stereomix, either guitar amp, and the bass amp. On top of that, I have the click and a mono cuemix going out to the wireless headphones.

90% of the reason I got the Helix was for the scribble strips. I can name them what I want and let Live do cool stuff with the MIDI capability of the Helix. 
Anyway, I was just happy it had the flexibility to give me 4 simultaneous instruments, individual outputs to 3 amps, a headphone mix, and 2 H9s available to every instrument except for the mic. And it all fits on a pedalboard and connects to the computer with a single USB cable.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to piece together a live rig around the Helix, two Eventide H9s, and Ableton Live. I started with an RME Fireface400 on the pedalboard which worked, but it's a bit overkill and I was hoping I could get away with just using the Helix as my interface.

It's not perfect, but I've found a pretty good way to utilize the Helix's flexibility.

Inputs:

Guitar - Guitar

Mic - Vocal Mic

Aux - Bass(volume a bit low, probably want a DI of some sort to match impedance)

Return 1 - H9 #1

Return 2 - H9 #2

Outputs:

1/4 1 - Mini Z amp #1

1/4 2 - Mini Z amp #2

XLR 1 - Stereo Mix to PA - L

Send 1 - H9 #1

Send 2 - H9 #2

Send 4 - Ampeg Micro CL

---

Inputs:

Path 1B - USB 3/4(Guitar) - > [Amp] -> USB 1/2

---

This allows me to use the two H9s on the guitar and bass paths as I see fit. It also allows me to use a preamp with the MiniZ tube combo amps while simultaneously having an ampsim available for FOH and the stereomix in general. It's also convenient if I want to play without turning the amps on.

I use Live for looping instruments and this setup allows me to loop the guitar, bass, mic, and Tempest at my leisure. I can also route any of those instruments to the stereomix, either guitar amp, and the bass amp. On top of that, I have the click and a mono cuemix going out to the wireless headphones.

90% of the reason I got the Helix was for the scribble strips. I can name them what I want and let Live do cool stuff with the MIDI capability of the Helix.

Anyway, I was just happy it had the flexibility to give me 4 simultaneous instruments, individual outputs to 3 amps, a headphone mix, and 2 H9s available to every instrument except for the mic. And it all fits on a pedalboard and connects to the computer with a single USB cable.

This is one of the most badass descriptions of a rig I've ever read haha... Is there any way you could take a picture of the rig and post it?

That, or message me privately (if you didn't want it in a public forum, for whatever reason)?

I have a Helix Floor unit, which I run with a Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister 36 in 4CM, and have been looking to throw my Novation MINInova into the mix, so I'd love to pick your brain a little to hear some sage advice.

(Or even ONE idea would be cool/helpful lol)

• 1 year later...
On 11/9/2017 at 7:36 AM, ramirezdan said:

Inputs:

Guitar - Guitar
Mic - Vocal Mic

Return 1 - H9 #1

Return 2 - H9 #2

Outputs:

1/4 1 - Mini Z amp #1

1/4 2 - Mini Z amp #2

XLR 1 - Stereo Mix to PA  - L

Send 1 - H9 #1

Send 2 - H9 #2

Send 4 - Ampeg Micro CL

---

Inputs:

Path 1B - USB 3/4(Guitar) - >                                [Amp] -> USB 1/2
---

This post is amazing. I am trying to do something similar with live looping acoustic instruments alongside my teenage engineering op z. How did you set up the headphone and cue mix? And how did you integrate the wireless headphone system into this setup?