Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adjusting individual outputs

kenmac1

I am now running a POSSE Audio in ear system out of my Helix for my own on stage vocal, band and instrument monitoring.
I have the standard XLR outputs  of my Helix plugged directly into the desk, which is fine, and I am running the 1/4 inch outputs into the POSSE interface.  However the 1/4 inch outputs clip badly, so I have turned the main huge volume knob down to eliminate the clipping, but that also turns down the XLR outputs, meaning I need to crank it at the desk, which adds unwanted noise.  Yes it eliminates the clipping, but it is clearly not the solution.

I'm sure there must be a simple way to adjust the 1/4 outputs independently of the XLR outputs, so I can kick the XLR's back up to 1/2 - 3/4 and have the jacks down at around 1/4 so they do not clip the in ear monitoring system.  I keep the main output at 1/2 - 3/4 live purely so if the sound guy is not making my sound loud enough in the stage mix I have room to move on the floor.

Can someone please explain the simple way to get into the appropriate menu in the Helix and rectify this, either directly from the floor unit or using the Mac interface?

Try global settings>in/out>volume knob controls. I believe this will let you set which outputs are affected by the volume knob. If you assign the knob to 1/4†outputs, the XLRs will be fixed and the sound man can adjust the channel gain as needed. You can then control your in ears with the volume knob.

I have also discovered that on either of my Helix rack units the jack outputs clip. This is when feeding a line level input on my desk (no phantom power)- and it also happens at higher settings of the volume control even when the outputs are switched to instrument level. To add to this, one channel clips quite a lot more than the other. The XLR outs, even set at line level, in to the same inputs on the desk are always clean.

This is with an empty patch and with the tone generator set to a 300Hz sine wave. It is certainly not clipping the Helix input but the increasing distortion as the output control is turned up is quite obvious. If I plug the generator direct in to the desk there is no distortion. As I said the XLRs are always clean even though the jacks sound distorted.

It is possible to get a clean output from the jacks but at a rather low level. As an aside I also have a sneaking suspicion that the jack outs don't sound as good.

Anyone else noticed this? 

Cheers guys.  I will try Pete's idea first when I get back in.  At the moment everything is in my car as I am about to head out the door for a quick jam at a mate's place.  His idea of dropping it to instrument level sounds like it may work.  If not I will go to the one above that.  

I believe you can actually use the Helix as an in ear monitoring system, but sadly I don't have any grunt left in the unit to run my mic into it, otherwise I may go that way, but it has run out of herbs powering the various snapshots I have set up inside this thing, so running a mic into it is not gonna happen.  So much for never being able to run out of power.

A friend who also runs both the Helix and POSSE system says he runs the Posse out of the Headphones socket with a splitter and adjusts the volume via the phones pot.  That is another option,  guess.   As soon as you start running different monitoring rigs and multi fx units...  there is always going to be some teething problems.  Thankfully there are guys more geeked up on these things than myself who have solutions for my problems.