wonderland78

Is there a way to put effects after the amp on the IV?

I'm not too tech savvy so bear with me. 

I have the Spider IV and really like the built in effects. So I bought a Boss loop pedal, plugged it in, and realised that the effects weren't being captured in the loop and that if I wanted to have effects in the loop I'd have to replicate all the effects in the amp with pedals. Just seems a little crazy to do that. I ended up returning the Boss pedal as it was then of no use.

Since then I've been trying to figure out the best option and not having much luck. Just wanted to double check on these forums that there's absolutely no way to get the loop to come after the amp??

Only way is to use the DI/headphone output (which disables the speaker, of course), put your looper or other FX in that chain, and send it to another amp.

That's interesting. Would you say that's a bit of a weird set up though? I don't imagine a lot of people would do things that way.

Definitely not normal.  The lack of an FX loop was one of the big complaints about the Spider 4 amp.  External FX with an external looper are really the best way to do it - I've never seen a guitarist using a modeler with a looper successfully.